want to buy Black Widow bowstrings for 64 inch t/d longbow

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

want to buy Black Widow bowstrings for 64 inch t/d longbow

#1 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

Anyone got some Black Widow Flemmish twist factory made bowstrings for a 64 inch take down longbow surplus to needs they might sell? Took my widow to a shoot, the spare strings I had were attached to my bow bag in a leather bag hanging over the back of my chair and someone had a greater need for them than me. Both bags have drawstrings which I very securely interlooped. Part of the stringbag's drawstring was still attached but cleancut. First time I have ever had something nicked in archery for seven or more years.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Chase N. Nocks

Re: want to buy Black Widow bowstrings for 64 inch t/d longb

#2 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry Kev,

Love the Black Widow strings - mine for 58" I am afraid.

Your reason for needing some makes me really angry though :x :x :x

I hope they get found out.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

I do not think it was an archer.
I doubt anyone would know what was in the bag.
I made the bag out of really soft deerskin leather to be used as a coin pouch when I dress up in medieval gear for Ironfest. I think it would be kids carrying a box knife and doing it on impulse.

I figure over seven years my gear has been sitting around for over 5,000 hours and nothing has been taken and so it is a really isolated event. It was in a pretty public place with lots of people other than archers hanging around so I think it is a pretty safe bet it wasn't a fellow archer. silly thing is if they just wanted the bag I would have made one for them as it was made from offcuts. I just wish I had not been so efficient and had not just taken the spares out of my quiver and put them in the bag attached to my bowbag.

I am not in a hurry I just like to have two spares. I have not looked at the widow website or asked any suppliers yet. I thought with the numbers of folk here there might be a couple of spares somewhere. The current string has a lot left in it.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

wishsong

#4 Post by wishsong » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am

Kevin , I'll have a look around for you ... I may have one ... I'll let you know .

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am

What's so special about a Black Widow string? :confused:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Jeff no simple answer to that. It is a feel good thing.

I ordinarily make my own strings, continuous loop.
The Black Widow string I got on the bow is the best string I have ever shot.
It came with a really nice round ball single string nock that was perfect from the go get.
It was at the height I normally set mine.

I just fell in love with the bow itself and the string. I tried other strings made by good people and even a couple I made myself. I figure if it aint broke don't fix it. No explanation just a lightly tested perception.

Do not get me wrong I have a couple of bows by Steve Farrell and I love them they suit me really well for target and field and are lighter, 43# and 47#. Steve provided the strings that they came with and I copied them exactly and that works. Who better than the bowyer/manufacturer and their recommended/provided string? The take down is heavier and great for hunting, clout, 53# and convenient to take overseas if I get a chance to represent Australia in the WA 3D Championships in France in 2013......just want to get everything squared away/sorted.

I have not learnt to make Flemmish twist yet and will do so, along with learn how to make good bows.

Kevin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks for the follow up Kev. I think you would just need to know what type of string material they made the string from and make one up with it using the same number of strands etc. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Only thing is I have enough Dyneema 97 to last a long time and am not that keen to buy a lot of expensive material until I have used a couple of their strings. After that I will check the material out and make strings using the same material but not before I learn how to make Flemmish or Scottish twist strings. The only reason I never learnt to make flemmish is that the only two i ever had both broke at the top loop during push /pull bracing and whacked me in the face. ..top lip/nose.....almost took my eye out......hurt like hall and madethe first fewfield targets a bit difficult.

Pure bad luck but never been keen about Flemmish until getting this bow last year.
Waited till I really recovered from cancer strength wise to pull the extra poundage 100 times plus a day......very sm, very fast, low noise but exciting to shoot so why change anything?

Hey, I am getting older and sillier and didn't want to make a few strings unless I really had to.

Kevin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

longbowinfected wrote:The only reason I never learnt to make flemmish is that the only two i ever had both broke at the top loop during push /pull bracing and whacked me in the face. ..top lip/nose.....almost took my eye out......hurt like hall and madethe first fewfield targets a bit difficult.
Ouch!!! I can understand you being a bit shy of them but I don't think your problem was the strings as something had to be cutting them. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 pm

You would think that but it was the first time I strung the bow both times, 6 months apart.....as soon as i was prepared to grasp the nettle......thing that hurt the most was my pride......the other longbow archers, all good mates were rolling around on the wet grass laughing their guts out. I looked very closely at both strings and they appeared to be really well made. I think that there might have been a problem nick in the spool of stock product used.

I now have a hundred pound weight on pulleys in my shed and test any strings I use......but make sure my aged body parts are well out of the way......no problems since.

It is sort of like snakes and sharks........really beautiful animals. One I walk back from, the other has to get me through the plug hole in the bath....risk management.

Kevin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 pm

longbowinfected wrote:thing that hurt the most was my pride......the other longbow archers, all good mates were rolling around on the wet grass laughing their guts out.
I could imagine that. What are mates for? :lol:

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#12 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 pm

longbowinfected wrote:I do not think it was an archer.
I doubt anyone would know what was in the bag.
I made the bag out of really soft deerskin leather to be used as a coin pouch when I dress up in medieval gear for Ironfest. I think it would be kids carrying a box knife and doing it on impulse.

I figure over seven years my gear has been sitting around for over 5,000 hours and nothing has been taken and so it is a really isolated event. It was in a pretty public place with lots of people other than archers hanging around so I think it is a pretty safe bet it wasn't a fellow archer. silly thing is if they just wanted the bag I would have made one for them as it was made from offcuts. I just wish I had not been so efficient and had not just taken the spares out of my quiver and put them in the bag attached to my bowbag.

I am not in a hurry I just like to have two spares. I have not looked at the widow website or asked any suppliers yet. I thought with the numbers of folk here there might be a couple of spares somewhere. The current string has a lot left in it.

Kevin
That is good to know Kev. I have never felt the need to lock my gear away from other archers so having confidence to keep doing that is a great thing.

I have locked things away at archery events when there were more than a comfortable amount of strangers/non archers about, only once in fact that I can think of.

Hi Jeff,

Black Widow strings - simply they are well made, reasonable price and have cool string silencers attached. Just like 'em, heaps. :smile:

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Chase N. Nocks wrote:Hi Jeff,

Black Widow strings - simply they are well made, reasonable price and have cool string silencers attached. Just like 'em, heaps. :smile:
Fair enough mate. I don't need any cool string silencers on my longbows. :mrgreen:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Wishsong,

thanks for the offer to check. I rudely forgot your kind offer.
Cheers,

Kevin

wishsong

#15 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:04 am

Kev ,
To be honest I am sure i actually have them somewhere , brand new still in the bags ... I just can't find 'em eh !
They are a fine string for sure and I am glad you are liking the bow