Picture of a large pig fact or fiction

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Picture of a large pig fact or fiction

#1 Post by Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 pm

I was sent this picture and asked if it is for real. So does anyone know? the true story behind the picture.........thanks..........Bill
Attachments
A very large over size pig or a mischievous deception
A very large over size pig or a mischievous deception
Porky.JPG (31 KiB) Viewed 2897 times

Jeffro

Re: Picture of a large pig fact or fiction

#2 Post by Jeffro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:46 am

I dont know 100% for sure but the general consensus was that it had been modified and was fake.The photo has been around a few years and has been on this and other forums more than once.I think this is about the 3rd time Ive seen it on here.
It certainly is huge .

MrsStringnstik

#3 Post by MrsStringnstik » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 am

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/giant-feral-pig.html

the 'hoax slayer' website seems to neither confirm nor deny that its real??

but, if you google 'huge feral pig' there are heaps of references/stories about similarly large pigs??

guess that means, its possible??
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

Slackshot

#4 Post by Slackshot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:56 am

The WA dept chased this up and actually found the guy who owns the property and shot the pig.He stated that there are several more of that size on his property and that he did not want the property over run by hunters looking for glory,so the pig is real and the property is in WA in the Pilbra region.Thats as far as i know,there was an articule on the web about it by the WA dept :( :( sadly i think i lost it but i will try and find it
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:19 pm

It's real; from WA; a family from my school ate sausages made from that fellow, as it was one of their relatives that shot it.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 pm

man did they some how cross with a buff :shock: the sausages would have tasted real gamey i guess........................Rod

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I wonder what flaours those pigs in that family like in their hominid sausages..hope they do not like FOG [fat old git].

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 am

While this particular photo might be fake, I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt because I reckon I've seen a pig that size many many years ago. Built like a short legged cow!
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Nomad
Location: Live in The Rock (south of Wagga NSW) lived in Bourke NSW and Tumut NSW for most of my life.

#9 Post by Nomad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:01 pm

my grand father recently rode the burke and wills track on motor bike and said they woke up early one morning because of this thundering sound...then he said a pig the size and build of an angus sprinted thru camp...and that pic was featured in Guns & Game in...either '05 or '06 i think. i wouldnt doubt the size of it...there are some pretty big russian pigs too. someone said they rekon it had some russian in it...though friends of ours have a boar called wilbour and he would be about half a ft shorter than that one...except hes tame pigglet...
It would take a all eternity to learn all there is to know in this world. All we can do is share our knowledge and help others to understand that which we have worked hard to discover in the hope that they will not repeat our mistakes.

huddo0312

#10 Post by huddo0312 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:43 am

Dunno about the authenticity of this pic but I don't really doubt it. I remember reading "Outdoors" magazines(where I got my hunting addiction) in the seventies where 400lb pigs weren't uncommon. Particularly around the Macquarie Marshes from memory. In my dogging days we've had teams of dogs absolutely smoked by some mountain pigs that left mates and myself with our jaws on the ground. I've boxed a few pigs around 150kg and missed a few that I guess at well over 200. If this is a true representation of that pig then it is certainly a rarity these days.
I'm not young enough to know everything....