Whats your ride/here is mine

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Slackshot

Whats your ride/here is mine

#1 Post by Slackshot » Sat May 02, 2009 5:29 pm

1967 B.S.A. Spitefire 57hp...654cc.I really like the old British Iron,just something about them.
Attachments
2007_0812Cairns20080002.jpg
2007_0812Cairns20080002.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Gringa Bows

Re: Whats your ride/here is mine

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat May 02, 2009 5:37 pm

the old Beezer is in good nic for its age,i havent seen one as clean as that since the 70s.............................Rod

jape

#3 Post by jape » Sat May 02, 2009 6:01 pm

That brings back memories - I used to have an ancient A10 650 twin, it was always breaking down though and I was often going directly over roundabouts instead of round them because the brakes kept on failing! So I ended up with a more reliable C15 250 star. I rode that thing all over Europe including up and down the Alps without a single problem despite the fact I was 95 kg plus luggage - and even 350 kms on the way back from France via the UK into Wales with a hole in the piston the size of a ten cent piece (or shilling as it was then)!

Nowdays I am happy with Ms Wang, my cheap new chinese road/trail toy.
bike.jpg
bike.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 13416 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 pm

the old Beezer is in good nic for its age,i havent seen one as clean as that since the 70s.............................Rod
Musta just wiped the oil drips off mate. :lol:

Just funin Gary; it looks like she has been nicely restored.

Below is a couple of photos of our Yammy 1300 cruiser. We actually had a little ride today and got rained on again at one point. :roll: It was still good to get a bit of fresh air though. :D
Hetty-12.jpg
Hetty-12.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 13396 times
Dickabram-Bridge-7.jpg
Dickabram-Bridge-7.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 13380 times

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Sat May 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Well Jeff , you sure showed 'em who has the bigger and shinier bike , and a matching Jacket ,, surprised it isnt flanno :D :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Coach wrote:Well Jeff , you sure showed 'em who has the bigger and shinier bike , and a matching Jacket ,, surprised it isnt flanno :D :lol:
I haven't seen a flanno leather one anywhere; have you seen any around? :D

Jeff

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Sat May 02, 2009 7:50 pm

I'll keep an eye out for you , as I KNOW you would love one :lol:

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat May 02, 2009 8:31 pm

never did own a bezzer had a few trumpies,a couple of harley shovels,last bike i owned was a 98mod.bmw 1100 that i sold a month ago,had it for two years never took one photo of it just was'nt my kind of bike :)

Hilly

#9 Post by Hilly » Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 pm

I like the looks of the old Beezer she looks gr8 & this is mine
Hilly
Attachments
005.jpg
005.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 13292 times
Hilly

jape

#10 Post by jape » Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Jeff! Riding your pretty babe in the rain? Watch that paintwork mate :shock:
I can picture some cut-off flanno colours coming up! :D

Yeah Rod, my brother kept his bikes, Triumphs and Nortons, through from teenage to (relatively) grown up middle age, they were excellent, Commando, Triton and more, then he purchased and hated the big BMW as well but went for a Goldwing in the end ... his club threw him out and burnt his colours which says it all! :lol:

Been watching that telly show of those two Scottish blokes trying to ride round the world and falling off every few metres. I think that is a BMW? Off road - der! Pair of neds.

Hilly, very cool looking machine! 8)

Never had a Harley but all the blokes having a smoke outside the local pub yelled "get a real bike like a Harley" at me when I went to town on Ms Wang. And I had me leather pants on too! Are Harleys really all that good or just an American dream?

Hilly

#11 Post by Hilly » Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for that Jape ...Na they are really that good & there more then just a dream LOL
& Jeff really loves them as well but just wont admit it tho ( hey Jeff )
Hilly :lol: :lol:
Hilly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Jeff! Riding your pretty babe in the rain?
Ride in the rain is all we seem to do lately mate. Having a dry ride would be great for a change as it's hard work keeping the bike lookin' good. :D

Hilly you are dreaming; just look at this photo of you caught out admiring a that fine Jap bike parked next to yours. :lol:
Montville-7.jpg
Montville-7.jpg (151.45 KiB) Viewed 13274 times

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat May 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Jeff he was only looking at your bike hoping it would'nt fall on his and scratch it. :lol: :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 02, 2009 10:55 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Jeff he was only looking at your bike hoping it would'nt fall on his and scratch it. :lol: :lol:
Ha! Ha! :lol:

Jeff

pommy chris

#15 Post by pommy chris » Sun May 03, 2009 3:21 am

nice spitfire mate.i rewired one for a old work mate about 15 years ago .he,s still got it and is retired now.with a few more bikes does all the shows and steam rallies all summer long.struggles abit with the weight now though.he has a real nice bantam ex-factory trials aswell.i always liked my triumphs.but just have a 1976 suzuki gs550 now.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Slackshot

#16 Post by Slackshot » Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 pm

I had mostly Triumphs and Nortons as a kid and never had a B.S.A.,so when i was 19 and hitchiking around Aus i saw two of these in a bike shop in Perth and said to the guy with me that one day i would own one of them.I do now. Jeff the bike does leak a bit but with modern gasket stuff you shore can stop most of them.I have worked that much on that bike that if i rattle the toolbox it puts itself on the centre stand and waits, :lol: lucky the beer fridge is handy.But now all the problems are sorted,new carbs/electronic ignition the list is endless but worth every cent.Looking for the next project,the old Ducati 500 in the shed maybe.
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 pm

i remember paying $200 for my first triumph trophy 650,it was a 68mod.only 4yrs old in good nic had ape hangers i loved that bike :D

Slackshot

#18 Post by Slackshot » Sun May 03, 2009 3:58 pm

LB rod 55, you would be looking at around 8 thousand now for that bike maybe more,dont ya wish you kept those bikes now i sure wish i did.
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun May 03, 2009 4:53 pm

your not kidding if i knew then what i know now ide be a millionare :shock: :cry:

pommy chris

#20 Post by pommy chris » Sun May 03, 2009 5:25 pm

yeah. wish i had kept mine now.i had a 650 trophy myself 1972.that was a bugger for leaking oil. i chucked a lot of time and cash at that bike. then i bought a very rough 650 bonny i was using through the winter. which hardly lost a drop.i can remember leaving it round the back at work comming out covered in snow just brush the seat off and clocks.it would start first kick every time no matter what.
recently a work mate has asked me to rewire his landrover series 1.early 1950s that is.very good chassis and bulkhead. im also going to help him swap the engine.just waiting for his house move going through and some better weather.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Gringa Bows

#21 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun May 03, 2009 5:33 pm

i know what you mean about the old british bikes go to a garage and check the petrol and fill up the oil :lol:

Hilly

#22 Post by Hilly » Sun May 03, 2009 5:56 pm

LOL not realy Jeff if you remember it was pouring rain at Caloundra & i was lookin in that direction it just so happens your bike was in the way LOL :lol: :lol:
Hilly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Yeah! Yeah! :lol:

Jeff

matt_d

#24 Post by matt_d » Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Great looking bike ya got there Gary, well done on the restoration it looks tops! I bet she's a lot of fun to ride! 8)

Here's mine:
Vstrom.jpg
Vstrom.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 13088 times
Yeah Jape those 2 Scotsmen on tele doing the Long Way Round can be painful to watch at times with all the whinging and falling off :lol: .. I think they were heavily influenced by a bloke named Ted Simon who in 1973 rode a Triumph Tiger 79,000 miles around the world over 4 years.. now that's brave!! He wrote a book about it called "Jupiter's Travels" well worth a read.. :wink:

Cheers,
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Looks like you were well loaded there Matt. Is that a Zuess helemt? A mate of ours uses one a fair bit but he is now looking at the Shoei Hornet.

Jeff

matt_d

#26 Post by matt_d » Mon May 04, 2009 8:05 pm

That's the Shoei Hornet I have Jeff... great helmet. Shoei are one of the few brands that fit my oddly shaped head :lol:
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks, our mate has the Zuess in a similar colour that is why I thought it was a Zuess. Are you happy with the Hornet as my mate would be interested in your impressions of it - is it noisy and does the peak stop the sun good etc? He is looking at getting the black with silver stripes and a tinted visor. Haven't the prices gone up since the dollar dropped. :shock:

Jeff

jape

#28 Post by jape » Mon May 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Wow Matt, that's a bike! Great to see you use it too. I might dream of one like that one day, my little Ms is only 200cc and 90 kph flat out - but anyway, better with her than with nothing, I've already started riding in to town for the post rather than using the car. I just wish she would be be able to face a trip up to Qld.

I am not enjoying the full face helmet at all, a bit like looking at my laptop as I am going along, just a limited vision all the time, doesn't suit me. Can you actually get down behind those little screens, how are they effective, do they throw the wind over the top of you? When I lean right down on mine (to feel faster, lol) my backside ends up on on the taillight ...

pedro

#29 Post by pedro » Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 am

nice bsa mate :wink: , one of my dads mates had a spitfire when i was a kid..bsa mad he was, alo had a 500 single/rigid he restored himself. both really nice bikes. he ended up t-boneing a car on his spitfire..was sad to see the bike afterwards :cry: . i have a few pics somwhere.
heres my bike, had it for a few years now so its changed a bit..had a fatboy before this for 6 years but it handled like a pig.

matt_d

#30 Post by matt_d » Tue May 05, 2009 6:30 pm

That is one sweet looking ride you got there Pedro! I'm left feeling a bit inadequate about the lack of chrome on mine :lol:

G'day Jeff - I'm not all that familiar with the Zeuss, have only tried the Shoei Hornet and the Arai XD3 (very similar). I'm very impressed with the Hornet - it has superb ventilation and I've never had a problem with visor fog even on the coldest days. The peak is a tad shorter than on other offroad helmets I've worn, so a tinted visor wouldn't be a bad idea, although I don't use one. It is a very quiet helmet - I notice bugger all noise difference between it and my Shoei XR1000 (Looks like the one you have from the pictures?) In comparison the Arai had terrible wind noise at speeds above 80, it may have something to do with the length of the peak, it's always a compromise. :)

Jape - I've never liked the open face helmets for safety reasons.. Maybe you should try an offroad type helmet with sunnies to solve your field of vision problem? They can be bought pretty cheap.. Yeah that little windscreen doesn't look like it would do much does it? :lol: Makes a huge difference though, it directs all the air up over the top of my helmet - I get much less tired on long trips when the wind isn't constantly pushing in my chest. If you can keep your speed up, the screen in combination with the fairing means you don't get wet either! :wink: I had a bit of a chuckle picturing you in your aerodynamic position aboard Ms Wang :lol: You should come for a ride down to one of the Victorian trad shoots one day mate! I'm sure she could make it that far :D

Cheers,
Matt