Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Whats your ride/here is mine

#31 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Nice bike Pedro.

Thanks for that Mat the info was great. Our mate actually ordered his today so I'm glad you like yours. That is interesting about the Arai and more noise. He was actually looking at those as well but they didn't fit his head shape. Yeah, our helmets are Shoei XR1000's. I am very happy with mine and Jude likes hers although she would like a little more room in front of her mouth as the foam on the mic for our bluetooth intercoms touches her mouth all the time. Once again thanks for the info it is appreciated.

Jape, I also like full face helmets for safety. I once involuntarily had my head pushed into the windscreen of a ute when a drunk turned in front of me and I was wearing an open face helmet. I can tell you the outcome wasn't pretty - not that I was handsome to start with. :D Some full face helmets limit vision more than others so check around.

Jeff

DylanK

#32 Post by DylanK » Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 pm

:shock: Jeff your bike has the same size engine as my car! :oops:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#33 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Jeff your bike has the same size engine as my car!
:lol:

It's only a cruiser though mate so not overly powerful compared to a sports bike. It does however get reaction from the pillion when I occasionally twist the throttle full on. :lol:

Jeff

Hilly

#34 Post by Hilly » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 pm

not bad pedro it's good to see more hogs on here
Hilly :D
Hilly

jape

#35 Post by jape » Tue May 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Jape, I also like full face helmets for safety. I once involuntarily had my head pushed into the windscreen of a ute when a drunk turned in front of me and I was wearing an open face helmet. I can tell you the outcome wasn't pretty - not that I was handsome to start with. :D Some full face helmets limit vision more than others so check around.Jeff
Thanks Jeff and Matt. Of course you are right about a 'face first' of any kind and that is probably the most important consideration. I wonder about the overall safety though as I hear a lot less in this full face thing and that is worrying in traffic where you want all around awareness. And I find that I have to look around a lot more, turning my head more causing my body to swivel a bit, so the ride is much less stable than just turning my head a little as in an open face and getting peripheral vision.

Don't want to pinch the thread but following on from safety, a remark about the latest L testing I had to do, they nearly failed me for an emergency stop at 35 kph in which I (deliberately) skidded the bike to a stop in less than 3 metres. The comment was that although I didn't go over any line limits it was frowned upon, they would have preferred a front brake stop with engine braking as well from 25 kph in 7 metres rather than my 3 meter, clutch and rear/front brake stop!

In any real emergency I can see all the new learners jamming on the front brake, stalling the bike, catapulting over the bars ... the whole test was sort of mechanical, rigid, felt very wrong to me; perhaps partly bad habits from my youth but also you have to ride the bike like a car. Hmmm, might suit you cruiser types! :lol: :lol:

Dewi

#36 Post by Dewi » Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 am

Gave up racing last year.

My last race, filmed onboard a mates bike.
At least I retired on a high.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYXlFjcRkL0
Since sold the roadracer.
Only a dirt bike left.

Dewi

#37 Post by Dewi » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 am

jape wrote:
Don't want to pinch the thread but following on from safety, a remark about the latest L testing I had to do, they nearly failed me for an emergency stop at 35 kph in which I (deliberately) skidded the bike to a stop in less than 3 metres. The comment was that although I didn't go over any line limits it was frowned upon, they would have preferred a front brake stop with engine braking as well from 25 kph in 7 metres rather than my 3 meter, clutch and rear/front brake stop!
Don't care much for the rear brake, I know you are taught that both can stop you faster with both but having passed many people uder brakes if you are slowing at the absolute maximum rate your back wheel is hovering just above the ground so the rear brake is doing stuff all, this however does not apply to cruiser style bikes with a rear weight bias of more than 60% of course.
To achieve the quickest stopping time each bike will be different. Tires, brakes, weight bias and weight transfer are all huge factors. As you initially apply the brakes the bias is fairly even, the forces change as you begin to slow, toward the end of your braking the front brake pressure should be increased (as the weight transfers to the front tire, increasing its grip)and the rear decreased(as the weight unloads, decreasing its grip), you do not have control if the wheel is locked. That is why it is frowned upon, nothing to do with your stopping distance, but the lack of control with a locked wheel.

nimrod

#38 Post by nimrod » Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 am

not mine but one built for a mate DOES IT SCARE YA PUNK DOES IT :lol: :lol:
Attachments
DSCF0053.JPG
DSCF0053.JPG (130.67 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
DSCF0048.JPG
DSCF0048.JPG (132.61 KiB) Viewed 11890 times

jape

#39 Post by jape » Wed May 06, 2009 9:15 am

Dewi wrote: That is why it is frowned upon, nothing to do with your stopping distance, but the lack of control with a locked wheel.

Thanks Dewi. I shouldn't argue with an experienced racer but I will say I would rather skid to a stop, even on my back, in front of a wall/vehicle/tree four metres away - than have some-one pick my brains up from three meters the other side having gone into/through it! But I will do some test stops of different kinds and see if I can feel what you are saying and work out the best for my bike.

Hugh, that is just ... nuts!

nimrod

#40 Post by nimrod » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am

jape brakes are for wimps ( :wink: :wink: :wink: that thing has now done nearly 40k scared the hell out of a lot of car drivers put a couple of them in ditches :lol: :lol: thats the scary thing about rear view mirrors :twisted: ) my mate has had his missus and kid in it since day one they love it his missus wanted it painted in pirate colours plus the skull crossbones but the wimp wouldnt have it :shock: posted some bits to you a couple days ago but still to add address and recipes ( was a very busy weekend ) cheers hugh

Dewi

#41 Post by Dewi » Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 pm

jape wrote:
Dewi wrote: That is why it is frowned upon, nothing to do with your stopping distance, but the lack of control with a locked wheel.

Thanks Dewi. I shouldn't argue with an experienced racer but I will say I would rather skid to a stop, even on my back, in front of a wall/vehicle/tree four metres away - than have some-one pick my brains up from three meters the other side having gone into/through it! But I will do some test stops of different kinds and see if I can feel what you are saying and work out the best for my bike.
No probs, every bike will behave diferent but I promise you if you can master your braking technique so it does not include a locked wheel it will not only be safer but the distance will be reduced.
I have locked wheels under extreme racing conditions and the bike actually accelerates(or the rate of de-celeration is reduced) causing me to hit the back of another bike, maintaining traction at all times is the best way to reduce your braking distance.
You sound like you did a good job of stopping within the requirement, well done.
Had the conditions been 100km/h, wet, off camber and decreasing radius turn and you may not have been as fortunate.
Unfortunately the "L" plate tests are too controlled and don't replicate real world conditions.
When out on that lonely stretch of road practice these techniques, not enough road riders practice extreme braking, something that could save your life.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#42 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Dewi, Nice bike and nice helmet mate! I also agree with your thoughts on braking.

That is one mean lookin machine Hugh. :D

Jeff

pommy chris

#43 Post by pommy chris » Thu May 07, 2009 3:56 am

that dont scare me nimrod.i used to have a jawa 350 and sidecar :lol: i took my test on it at 17.the first and last 2stroke i will ever own.whats your mates chair strapped to. gs 1000.?
i had one of those. a shaftie.was a nice smooth runner with plenty of tork.but the pillion seat was cursed.any female contact and they were in the pudding club.i should have listened to the workmate who sold it me :wink:
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

nimrod

#44 Post by nimrod » Thu May 07, 2009 5:14 am

AH jawa CZ MZ had at least 1 of each gs 1000 shaftie :D previous chair when I can sort the photo out is a watsonian squire 1960ish first bike was a yam twin 125 ex race bike WHAT A POWER BAND you were iether in it or not :shock: yas1 modified ?? dont know how many times I fell of off that bitch then various bits of above bikes THEN a royal enfield 250 continental GT clubman racer single 5 speed box ( could go from 5-1st ) drop bars single seat fibreglass tank vented 12" drum brakes front back tiny 6" BIG AMAL carb could touch the ton and still do 40-50 to gal JUST went downhill from there still run a GPZ 1100 the one when they took the zzr eng and stuck it in the 900 frame :roll: :roll: cheers

trikegeoff

#45 Post by trikegeoff » Thu May 14, 2009 10:19 am

guys id love to show you a pic of my ride but im not sure how to upload pictures onto here. if anyone can help me out id be very greatful.

matt_d

#46 Post by matt_d » Fri May 15, 2009 1:53 pm

Guys, heres TrikeGeoff's beauty, just posting a pic up on behalf of him:
trikegeoff.JPG
trikegeoff.JPG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 11692 times
This is a pic of my 2002 model hs3 bontrike
She has a heavily modified 1600 vw motor
Room for 3 people and a generous cargo area at the back
I also tow small box trailer with the swags and esky in the back for extended trips.
I love riding this machine but do not seem to get the time to do so that often.
If I can get to the gathering you can bet ill be on her.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#47 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Looks like a wild ride Geoff. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#48 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 pm

my wife is home tuesday so i can get her to put photo's on here of my shovels.

Hilly

#49 Post by Hilly » Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Cool nothing like a good old shovel got a bit of a soft spot for them
Hilly
Hilly

Slackshot

#50 Post by Slackshot » Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am

LB rod 55,Sounds like you have an ideal situation mate.The wife is only home Tuesday :lol: :lol: :lol: Look forward to the photos too
Slackshot aka Gary Case

pedro

#51 Post by pedro » Sat May 16, 2009 11:41 am

yep, ive a soft spot to, my dad gave me a shovel. its farly rough old bike but its a goer...i find a pic..its packed away but ill get it out and register it one day. im a bit scared in starting it as its a kick start and its busted a few boys prides over the years..hehe. i remember my dad in pain a few times to. its a lottery wether the ratchet slips straight through or tries to kick you over the bars :lol:

Gringa Bows

#52 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 pm

these are the only photo's i could find of my shovels taken in 2001........... Rod
Attachments
dad on the black bike.JPG
dad on the black bike.JPG (98.38 KiB) Viewed 11554 times
dad on his orange bike.JPG
dad on his orange bike.JPG (83.37 KiB) Viewed 11553 times

gundy

#53 Post by gundy » Tue May 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Cafe Racers for me gents... :)

Triumph Thruxton 900

TEX

#54 Post by TEX » Wed May 20, 2009 9:08 am

Well here ya go.
This baby is lowered 12 inches raked forward controls and drag pipes.
Also extended the bars a bit. Oh and it's on NOS.
Runs on next to nothing.
Attachments
Donkey.jpg
Donkey.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 11511 times

TEX

#55 Post by TEX » Wed May 20, 2009 9:28 am

Gundy
I was going to buy one of those thruxtons a few years back. Great looking bike but too damn small for 6'2" skinny bloke.
I was so disappointed. Too crunched up on it.
Your a lucky man to have one.
I was re building a Suzuki T 500 last year. They make a great cafe racer. Same deal even with the clip ons and the rear sets the bike was too small.
Gave it to a friend to finnish.
Miss my bikes had a Kawasaki vulcan 1500 with a side car but unfortunately the hoon in me broke it. Still have it but she needs a total restoration.
I would love to build a old school bobber.
Reg Tex

TEX

#56 Post by TEX » Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 am

LB love the shovels.
Love the look to mate. That's what a harley rider should look like. Non of that shinny leather and catalogue merchandise.
Very envious.
Reg Tex

pommy chris

#57 Post by pommy chris » Thu May 21, 2009 4:24 am

heres my suzuki gs550.1978.but its going on e-bay this week.havent really run it for a year or so now.dunno had bikes from before i became a teenager but dont really get the same buzz anymore.still like the real old brit stuff who knows i probally regret not having one in a few years time.
GS550.jpg
GS550.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 11468 times
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

pedro

#58 Post by pedro » Thu May 21, 2009 10:46 pm

sweet ride gundy..

hehe, had a giggle at ur style rod..reminds me f me dad. :lol: nice bikes too

Gringa Bows

#59 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 22, 2009 12:57 pm

ahhhhh Pedro,so your dad's good lookin too 8) :) ........................Rod

pedro

#60 Post by pedro » Fri May 22, 2009 6:48 pm