Wild Flowers and Bees.

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Al Kidner

Wild Flowers and Bees.

#1 Post by Al Kidner » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Here is a pic of some bees into "Ragweed" in NZ. Was a fair way up in the mountains having a breather.

Took me a few to catch the little fellas in flight and to get 'em in focus.

Regards, Al Kidner.

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 pm

What camera do you use Al? I have never tried to photograph movement (moving things), do you play with shutter speeds etc, or just point and click...nice photo, my daughter loves it...

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:54 am

Good Morning Alan

Nice photo and one of my favourite subjects.

Bees can be a real challenge - although that goes for most flying insects.

I use to shoot them using a shortish lens - thinking I needed to get close and thus required a wide angle. Now I shoot them with my "all purpose" 90-300. Lay on the ground and use my camera pack as a support or use the tripod with none of the legs extended. On the downside the shallow depth of field of the long lens makes things a little difficult plus I find I have to maually focus otherwise the autofocus continually hunts.

Looks like you had the shutter speed fairly high as the wings are nicely stopped.

The combination with the flowers in full bloom really does look good. Really great photo.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Al Kidner

#4 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks lads. Yes it's one of my fav pics from the trip as well. Not just a photo but what and where i was when it was taken.

The camera used is my 6 month old Canon 350D (8mp) that came in a twin lens kit (for the sale I think) and I'm glad I spent the $$ as its paid for itself already. The lens combo was a 18-55 and a 75-300.

When shooting this pic I had the 300 on and set to auto. The joys of Digital these days is that you can rattle off a heap and cut away the ones that look out of kilter/focus. I ran about 20 photos and only kept 4. This being the 2nd best.

al kidner.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Great shot and a good little camera.

Jeff

losty

#6 Post by losty » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:17 am

The shallow depth of field makes things hell tricky
Attachments
Taken using a 300mm lens some filters and my 400D on a tripod. Dang near went out and got a slide rail then and there due to the frustration of focusing.
Taken using a 300mm lens some filters and my 400D on a tripod. Dang near went out and got a slide rail then and there due to the frustration of focusing.
longlegs11ss.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.