Stills with video

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Stills with video

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Good day people :)

Haven't poked my nose in here for awhile so I figured I should see what was going on on the other side of the globe. :biggrin:

I was looking through about a terabyte of pictures a few days ago and decided to have a go at making a short video that incorporated both stills and video- I shoot very little vid as my interest is mainly still photos.

I've been a PC user forever and have recently been forced into learning Mac-speak as half (OK, most) of the house-hold has defected to Apple products. So I bravely opened iMovie and set foot into dark territory. The learning curve was steep but after I figured out some of the quirks it was rather amusing to work with- read that to mean I wasted far too much time on the project!

The file itself turned out to be about 90MB and that was saved at a medium setting, I had to upload it to youtube so it could be seen by others.

Anyway, has any one messed around with this type of media? Got any tips to share? lol

Here's my first attempt at iMovie: http://youtu.be/1tVFxiE8hBc

Its all about hunting adventures with my wife.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Stills with video

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:33 pm

You certainly have had some incredible adventures in some amazing country mate. I have never messed with iMovie at all. I have just about finished updating everything after installing Yosemite. :biggrin:

Jeff

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 am

Morning.

I still prefer using a PC over a Mac.

I use Premiere - lots of experience/time wasted.

Slideshows are easy-ish to do and adding in video is relatively easy. I prefer to shoot photos Video is a Challenge.

An example of a Slideshow - built in Premiere Royalty Free soundtrack.
http://youtu.be/dVps1xG87rQ
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

Hi Grahame,

How is Premiere for co-coordinating sound (ie music) inside the show? Is it a reasonably intuitive program or is it a Photoshop/Lightroom type learning curve?

You've piqued my interest now. lol

RC

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Afternoon.
How is Premiere for co-coordinating sound (ie music) inside the show?
Excellent and you can now get Premier Elements at a low price which is more than enough for normal use.

It is capable of handling mutiple Video and Audio tracks. So it is feasible to have multiple picture in picture type displays - you just need to remember what the layer order is - plus you can do things like varying the transparency of the tracks (audio or video) just like in Photoshop. You can even use it build multi-track audio pieces - you just need to understand the concepts behind tracks.
Is it a reasonably intuitive program or is it a Photoshop/Lightroom type learning curve?
If you can use Photoshop you will have no issues however, I am biased.

I started with Corel when it first came out and Photoshop at Version 2 plus I edited film when it was film and you phsyically cut and spliced the actual film so the concepts were relatively easy for me to pick-up. I learnt to use Premiere basics enough to edit a large number of Video files in a couple of hours - a Tuesday evening when I should have been doing other stuff, it was a great moment in my world of Video. I still have the boxed copy of Premiere 4.2 that it came in - it was a revelation to do things and it ran on a Celeron 200 albeit slowly, compiling videos was an all day event even using some interesting tricks - I really need a server farm to do things in a reasonable time.

I have used Avid, Vegas plus numerous other NLE's and always seem to return to Premiere.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Well, that sounds like a program I need to check out! :smile: I've used lightroom and photoshop for years so it sounds like the Premiere program would be an easy learn.

RC

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:05 pm

nice pics :wink:

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Very Cool.

Good to know some of the info about iMovie and Premier.

I am still considering a Mac down the track..

Tuffcity - was that Sound Garden?

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Tuffcity

#9 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Chase,

Not Sound Garden, but a band calling themselves "Monster Truck" (can't get much more redneck than that... :smile: )

RC