Winter on the Alaska Hwy

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Winter on the Alaska Hwy

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:27 pm

While you folks are sweltering in the summer temps, we are on a slightly different track in this part of the world. :)

My wife has taken a 4 month internship in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, as part of her Masters degree, so on December 28 we left south Vancouver Island and I drove her the (approx) 2600 km's up to Whitehorse. December 30 (day 3) found us leaving Ft Nelson in -23C and blowing snow for the ~1000km final leg to Whitehorse. Quite a few critters encountered on the way up, especially between Muncho Lake and Watson Lake. Hel had never seen a bison before but now she understands why I didn't want to drive that section at night- these "northern speed bumps" like to congregate on the hwy. :) A mature bull bison will run 1000 kg or better. On Jan 6th I reluctantly abandoned her in the far north and flew home to look after things down south- fortunately flights aren't too hideously expensive so I will be heading back there when I can.

About half the trip was on the "Alaska Highway", which starts in northern BC and goes (oddly enough) to Alaska. The weather didn't get really ugly until a few hundred km's before we got joined the hwy.

A few pics from the trip:

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Love the photos RC!!! :biggrin:

I have seen Bison in a zoo down here and they are a solid critter alright. They must be like our cattle that like to bed on our country roads.

As I sit here sweating I just can't even imagine how cold that must be. :shock:

I guess the next four months will seem rather long for you both. I hope you get a few trips north in that time.

Jeff

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:28 pm

great photos!! I cant even begin to imagine that sort of weather, and I reckon inadvertently smacking into one of those bison would be the shock to end all shocks.Can you get a tag for them or are they totally protected?
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Afternoon.

Brilliant - Whitehorse.

An opportunity to see the Whitehorse and Yukon Railway. How lucky can some people be.

Give your wife my best on working on her Masters.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Zega

#5 Post by Zega » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 pm

I grieve for good winter. Excellent photos.
Evgeniy Ovcharov