BC Moose hunt

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

BC Moose hunt

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 am

I have been fortunate this year in being able to get a a fair bit of hunting in around the province. Mostly, it seems, packing game off the mountain for my wife... :) but that's ok.

Finally got a chance to let my 'curve see the wilds on a moose hunt in central BC. A lower elevation hunt than I'm usually used to and with more creature comforts!

Here are a few pics.

Of course we had to get snowed on at least once- didn't stay though.

It was a "guys" hunting camp and one of my mates brought his young son

The rut was just starting and I found the odd beat up tree and start of a scent scrape.

and even a moose

Time to chase local deer now.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Nephew

Re: BC Moose hunt

#2 Post by Nephew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:47 am

Man, what beautiful country! Your photos do it credit, too. BTW, that would have to be the biggest tent I've ever seen, you blokes sure know how to set up a decent camp.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 am

C'mon RC I have waited for some recurve huntin' action from you for a long time and you give very little details. :confused: What an animal - congrats mate!!! I want the details mate and some more photos of the moose and one with ya bow in the photo if you have one please. They truly are a massive animal.

Oh, the other photos were great also. :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 am

Very nice country,congrats on the Moose.

Tuffcity

#5 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Hey Jeff,

Finally got lucky with one of the slobber noses. :) Not too much of a tale. One of the guys tagged an almost clone of this one earlier in the week so I was prowling the end of the lake where he got his, looking for another. The rut really hadn't started so calling wasn't being as effective as I had hoped. This evening a mate had taken the canoe down to the end and had been calling for about an hour. I saw something out of place about 200m in the timber and when I put the bino's on it it grew antlers. He was looking and moving slowly towards the lake but away from me so I hauled it through the timber until I figured I was close. Then sat and listened and watched. For a big animal they can be really quiet in the bush but finally I caught movement about 50 m away. I had the wind so I crept closer, trying to angle into him. Finally I thought I was as close as I was going to get and when he moved into a shooting lane the brain said go and an arrow went. :) The hit looked good and he headed off towards a big meadow. Left him for about 1/2 an hour then went an found him piled up, went maybe a 100 m.

All I had was my P&S camera and it crapped out after a couple of pictures. My Nikon was back in camp. :roll: We managed to get quads into him but we were going to run out of light so just got a move on getting him out.

Took surprisingly few pics on this trip- maybe because I don't find the flat country very inspiring. lol

RC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm sure he got the blood pumping mate. :biggrin: What poundage bow, arrow and broadhead combo did you use? They are a big animal.

Jeff

Tuffcity

#7 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:49 am

It's always fun getting up close and personal with animals like that. :biggrin: I used my Chekmate which is about 56# at my draw (30"), bamboo arrows, rosewood self nock and a tusker broad head. Runs about 730 gr in weight. The arrow in the pictures above is my grouse arrow- yellow cedar with full size feathers and a field point.

RC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks for the info RC. It seems your combo worked very well. :biggrin: I used Bamboo arras last hunt also and they worked great. They were 700 plus grains as well.

Jeff