Severn River Roadside Stop

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Severn River Roadside Stop

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 am

The one thing Jude and I have really come to enjoy when travelling with the van is the freedom of being able to camp the night at roadside stops. Some of them are located in very picturesque places such as this one was. It was located just outside the little town of Ashford. The river had clear running water, the stopping area was a large mowed grassed area and best of all you weren't crowed in like at a lot of caravan parks.
A good spot to sit back relax and enjoy a coffee.
A good spot to sit back relax and enjoy a coffee.
IMG_6297.jpg (226.15 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
IMG_6289.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg (240.84 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6294.jpg (209.28 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
IMG_6291.jpg
IMG_6291.jpg (222.23 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Next stop Texas.

Jeff

Len

Re: Severn River Roadside Stop

#2 Post by Len » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:03 pm

G'day Jeff,great pics as usual. How are you finding the Triton as a tow vehicle ?
Cheers
Len
Hmmmmmmm.............

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Len wrote:How are you finding the Triton as a tow vehicle ?
Firstly ours is a five speed manual and the van is approx 2.2 ton. We probably had a few hundred kgs in the back of the Triton also including the dual battery, Engle fridge, camp box and a few camp ovens. Normal towing where you have good roads and can sit on around 95kmph or in hilly country where the truck is really working we averaged 15.6 - 16L/100kms. With strong head winds around 17 L/100kms with our worst being 18.3 L/100kms but that was with 35-50kmph head winds. With just the vehicle we are averaging 10 L/100kms.

Good Points: It handles the towing relatively easily and is far better than our old naturally aspirated 80 series Cruiser. It's quite comfortable and has plenty of cabin room. With the canopy we also have good luggage space for a dual cab. The economy is also reasonable IMO.

Bad Points: Turbo lag is a real problem when taking off with the van on. On a steep slope in a town one day I used low range to take off. I also use low range if backing the van up on leveling ramps etc. It doesn't like strong head winds and really won't pull comfortably in fifth. I used 4th gear at about 80kmph when we encountered them. We actually had a lot of strong head winds this trip. :roll:

Overall we are very happy with it. For towing I think the five speed auto would possibly be better but it is only available in the top of the range model. The other models only have the four speed autos. I just hope it gives us as good a run as our old 80 series. :biggrin:

Jeff

Len

#4 Post by Len » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Jeff. I recently bought a Challenger which is based on the Triton platform. Anyway your Triton is a good lookin rig
Hmmmmmmm.............