Carcoar Dam

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Carcoar Dam

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Our next stop was Carcoar dam approx 60kms SW of Bathurst. It was another great spot and we straight away decided to stay a few nights.
Not a bad spot at all
Not a bad spot at all
IMG_5962.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
People tended to camp close to the loos and were rather crowded together so we took up a spot out on our own a little further away - much better. :biggrin:
Camp
Camp
IMG_6010.jpg (229.15 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
Not a bad view either
Not a bad view either
IMG_6006.jpg (238.75 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
As you can see we set up our shower tent as even though there were COLD showers up at the loo there was no way known I was going to try them out. :lol: With the cooler weather we cooked a stew in the camp oven one evening. We used 'Percy' our home made pig to cook it on.
The stew on the go
The stew on the go
IMG_5972.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
That looks about done!
That looks about done!
IMG_5976.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Here's a couple of other shots of the dam. It really is a nice spot to spend a few days.
IMG_5991.jpg
IMG_5991.jpg (172.49 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
IMG_5995.jpg
IMG_5995.jpg (105.45 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Continuing north next…………

Jeff

Goatchaser

Re: Carcoar Dam

#2 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:32 pm

top pics and I love the cooker, looks like it works a treat, suddemly I feel hungry. :lol:

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Beaut spot mate the pig looks good ,yum yum stew :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Goatchaser wrote:I love the cooker, looks like it works a treat,
Yeah mate we are very pleased with it. The camp oven works well on it and a 12" frypan on top does steaks, eggs and bacon etc. It also keeps a couple warm on a cold night also. It doesn't use a lot of wood either which is a plus.
LB rod 55 wrote:yum yum stew
Yeah mate it was and I reckon there would have just about been enough in there to feed you. :razz: :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:22 pm

ahhhh what a waste :biggrin:

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Jeff, the dam is nice, I camped there on a breezy evening once and couldn't sleep due to the noise of the turbines. The dam is full of Red fin. English silver perch which are one of the best eating fresh water imo.
Wouldn't mind seeing more detail of your Pig Stove. Cheers Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:51 pm

longbow steve wrote:Hi Jeff, the dam is nice, I camped there on a breezy evening once and couldn't sleep due to the noise of the turbines.
Well it must have had something to do with the wind direction I'd say Steve as we only faintly heard them one afternoon on a walk along the edge of the dam.
longbow steve wrote:The dam is full of Red fin. English silver perch which are one of the best eating fresh water imo.
We saw a few locals come in fishing with boats but don't know if they caught anything.
longbow steve wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing more detail of your Pig Stove. Cheers Steve
I don't know if I have any detailed shots of our pig but I will see what I can find or maybe take some. It is of course similar in design to the Oz Pig but with a few differences.

Jeff

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Yeah from memory the wind was blowing towards us across the water.
The Redfin are alot more active/biting through the warmer months.
I will search for the Ozpig. Cheers Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Steve,

I couldn't find any photos of the pig that were more detailed than the above sorry.

Percy is made from an out of date 9kg gas bottle. The ring on top is actually the ring that was on the bottom of the bottle when in use. As you can see we have a steel grate ring and a solid steel plate ring which rotate neatly over the top hole of the pig. The grate is used for cooking and the solid plate is put in place when we just want some heat sitting in front of it. I used 250mm lengths of 2.5" exhaust pipe for the chimney which lets it draw well. As you can see I went with a square door in preference to a round one. This allows me to just squeeze a double jaffle iron in. There is a grate inside the pig that allows the ash to fall to the bottom and let air circulate under the fire. The legs are made of scrap gal pipe and they are in two pieces. The legs and chimney all fit inside the pig for transport. All up it cost us $60.00 which was for the exhaust pipe as I got the rest of the stuff for free. :biggrin: Of course this doesn't take into account a cutting wheel and some welding wire and our time.

Our trip was the pigs maiden voyage and we are very happy with how it worked and it will be coming with us on future trips. We much rather be cooking outside when we can. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 am

Excellent, I can visualize it now. Now to find a gas bottle :smile: . Steve

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 am

Hi Steve.
longbow steve wrote:Excellent, I can visualize it now. Now to find a gas bottle :smile: . Steve
Now if you want the more upmarket and more expensive version...... http://www.ozpig.com.au/

Have a look on YouTube for "Gas Bottle Wood" - there are a few projects there :roll:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 am

Thanks Grahame, I just had a quick look at You Tube. I will make one up soon, I think I have all the bits I need laying around and may try to incorporate a Babbington waste oil burner into it. Fun :biggrin:

gazza

#13 Post by gazza » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:49 am

perry and I stayed there on our way home from lilydale, and yes the showers were cold I think we could try out for the Olympic speed shower team hehe gazza.
The older i get the better i was

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 am

gazza wrote:and yes the showers were cold I think we could try out for the Olympic speed shower team hehe gazza.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It is a nice spot though hey!

Jeff