Image Stacking,etc.

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Image Stacking,etc.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 am

Hi All.

I used the term image stacking recently in a post. "Image Stacking" a is a technique that gives the opportunity to get "more" out of images by combining several images.

For those who are interested here is a bit of introduction to the concept using multiple f stops.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... -fstop.htm

I also referred to stitching photos in the same post. So here is an Intro to photo Stitching.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... oramas.htm

If people are interested in making some stitched images and you use a Windows machine it is probably worth your while to download a copy of ICE - Microsofts free Image Composite Editor.

You can also make things like ....

The panorama below was stitched from 800 individual images and contains approximately 4 gigapixels. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... vm/HDView/

And if you read this far why not have a look at Deep Zoom. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 95%29.aspx

And just in case you are having a sudden rush of blood to your head and are considering buying a full frame DSLR a comparison guide. http://www.gizmag.com/full-frame-dslr-c ... ide/28114/
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Image Stacking,etc.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 pm

A lot of pre and post processing work to do that kind of stuff. Not for me at this stage except maybe stitching a panorama together. :biggrin:

A5DIII would be nice but my 5DII is going well and I hope it does for many years to come.

Jeff

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi Jeff.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:A lot of pre and post processing work to do that kind of stuff. Not for me at this stage except maybe stitching a panorama together. :biggrin:

A5DIII would be nice but my 5DII is going well and I hope it does for many years to come.
Yes ...... but the result can sometimes be worth it .... plus it gives you something to do on rainy days. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I suggest that your current 5D II needs to be replaced .... you need a new toy. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 pm

GrahameA wrote:I suggest that your current 5D II needs to be replaced .... you need a new toy.
If I got a new toy it would be a lens such as the EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII but that just ain't gunna happen. :lol:

Jeff

Sleepy

#5 Post by Sleepy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:If I got a new toy it would be a lens such as the EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII but that just ain't gunna happen. :lol:

Jeff
Why not? I know you've gone into "retirement" as a bowyer, but how many bows would you have to build to get that lense? It's not like it'd need to be a case of being open for business to all-comers; just a "limited edition" run to pay off any new toy(s) you might need.

Sorry, no, that's not a request for one for myself; am just saying, you've got skills Jeff, and I'm guessing there's a few people out there who'd like a Challacombe bow. And there's no need to feel guilty about treating yourself to a new toy if you've earned the money for it fair and square on your own time. Just a thought.

Incidentally, why did you go into "retirement" as a bowyer in the first place?

Grahame: thanks for the tip on Image Composite Editor! Will see if I can do some f-stop image stacking with it.

Cheers!

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Jeff.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:
GrahameA wrote:I suggest that your current 5D II needs to be replaced .... you need a new toy.
If I got a new toy it would be a lens such as the EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII but that just ain't gunna happen. :lol:
EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII = 1.5kgs of lens! It could get heavy. The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is half the mass and you are only losing 1 stop. :biggrin:

It would be (is) a hard decision to make once you have decided to spend the money. After making that decision are you going to fit a teleconverter to it? And if so a 2X or 1.4X Canon, Sigma or Kenko.

Al - These are truly exquisite lens with outstanding clarity, build quality and "ruggedness". Then to make things worse there are a number of alternatives/options available with similar specs. It really becomes an exercise in "decision making" without any emotions being allowed to play a part.

WRT Teleconverters the hard question becomes, is the degradation in image quality using a teleconverter better or worse than the degradation you get by cropping and enlarging?
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:57 am

Sleepy wrote:Incidentally, why did you go into "retirement" as a bowyer in the first place?
Ill health which caused having to be in the workshop rather than wanting to be.
GrahameA wrote:EF 70-200 f2.8 ISII = 1.5kgs of lens! It could get heavy. The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is half the mass and you are only losing 1 stop.
Yes Grahame but with the 2.8 and a 2x converter I would still have an excellent lens for some shots out bush with little loss of image quality. I would just have to get used to the weight. :biggrin:

Jeff

Sleepy

#8 Post by Sleepy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Sleepy wrote:Incidentally, why did you go into "retirement" as a bowyer in the first place?
Ill health which caused having to be in the workshop rather than wanting to be.
Ouch!! Fair enough & sorry to hear it.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:... but with the 2.8 and a 2x converter I would still have an excellent lens for some shots out bush with little loss of image quality. I would just have to get used to the weight. :biggrin:

Jeff
Smart - this way if the missus ever questions you for buying expensive heavy lenses, and then heading out the door all loaded down with your camera gear, you can legitimately proclaim "you misunderstand me; this lense is not a very expensive toy, it's a piece of weight-training exercise equipment, and I'm not going out to play with my other very expensive toys in the bush, I'm going for a workout!!".

There's actually something to that you know; a gym membership at the local YMCA runs around $1K per year, so if playing with your camera's gets you out the door on a regular basis, keeping you fit from having to lug them up hill and down dale in the process, and you only buy a new piece every year or two with it lasting a good while (the exxy stuff does from what I gather), you could well end up with an average yearly spend of ~$1K per year, and being fit and happy (something that gym instructors and "personal trainers" cannot promise to deliver).

Cheers all!