Another BC adventure

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Another BC adventure

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:29 am

Hello all. Been awhile since I've dropped in (that pesky work and life thing seems to get in the way). Finally took a month off and headed out for 3 weeks of wilderness hunting with my wife. Two separate trips but here are some pics from the first one.

RC

After last year's “no tag cut” sheep hunt, Helen and I once again pointed our noses north in search of her first Stone sheep ram.

1000 km of pavement, 400 ‘clicks’ of gravel (complete with one flat tire), 130 km in a 185 on floats, 10 km on foot to a base camp and we were at it again!

We picked up a horse trail about 4 km up the drainage (came in from a side valley) that made the pack in a bit easier.

We set up a camp at about 6000’ and headed out in different directions each day...

… except for this day…

We searched high and wide…

… but not a sheep did we find.

So in the last few days of our trip we turned our attention to goats, somewhat accidentally as I was glassing a side hill and spotted a Billy as he moved out of one hollow to the next. Helen had a tag so an hour later we were creeping down the side of the mountain to where I was sure I had correctly land-marked his location. Much to Hel’s surprise I was right this time and, after initially freezing for what turned out to be a large white rock, we saw the top of a goat’s back, its hair rippling in the wind.

We made ourselves small on the side of the mountain.

The goat disappeared behind the rise.

“What’s the plan?” queried Helen

“Wait”

“What?”

“Wait” I said again. “It will probably feed its way out in a minute”. Surprisingly that’s what happened. A few minutes later the Billy strolled out from behind the small hump and without so much as a glance our way, stood and surveyed the valley below. Being right twice in one day was indeed a big accomplishment for me but I didn’t dwell on it too long.

He was 70 metres away.

I watched him through my bino’s and Hel had him lined up in the scope of her muzzleloader.

“Is he a good one?” she asked.

“Not too bad” I said. “Looks bigger than your last one”

“Should I take him?”

“Up to you”

“ShouldIshoothim!?”

“Your call”

I thought for a very brief moment she was going to let him walk, but then a roll of thunder and a cloud of smoke let me know she had sparked the powder in her Knight .50.

For once I was on the right side of her cannon and smoke didn’t obscure my view of the goat. He hunched up like he was hit hard, looked up the mountain at us, looked back down at the valley, turned and took 3 steps and fell over stone dead.

Hel had taken her second muzzleloader goat.

The pack out to the lake was one of the tougher ones I’ve done.

I realized it was going to be trouble when we had all our camp divvied up and loaded, and I also had most of the de-boned goat and the whole hide, and I went to stand up with my pack on. I tried to roll forward to get up… nothing budged. I tried to roll from one side to the other to get the weight under me… nothing budged. This wasn’t going to be good.

I got Hel to come over and lift the pack and push me forward at the same time and finally I staggered to my feet.

Once upright, the 150+ lb/69kg pack (I weighed it when I got home) didn’t feel too bad… for the first 400 metres. Then my hips started to protest this injustice. At 51 my bumper to bumper warrantee has long since expired but I figured if I might need “after-market” replacement parts this was going to tell me, so I was happy it was only my hips that were ticked off- they’d get over it. The “you’re too old for this shite” side of the brain kept piping up with that statement but then the optimistic side said “hey you’re still able to do it!” 5 km in the “too old” side was starting to win the argument. We might have to bring the kids next year.

The 10 km pack out to the lake was fairly uneventful, except for a terrifying moment when I stepped off a small bank and a rock rolled out from under my back foot. I pitched over to my left and managed to plant the trek pole into the rocks of the creek bed to stop me from going over. My back leg was stretched out and partially bent (like doing a lunge) and all the pack weight was on my rear leg and pole. I looked down and the Leki pole was bent like one of my strung recurves and at the angle I was at I couldn’t stand back up. I was really hoping that pole would hold and not snap and pitch me into the creek bed.

“Ahh, Helen!” I believe there was a tone of urgency to my voice.

Was I ever glad to see the lake. There were a couple of airline sized shots of whiskey in the “lake bag” and 40 Creek and hot chocolate never tasted that good. That and a couple of fresh trout for dinner put a happy stamp on the end of our trip.

Tim and the “Fresh Air” Cessna picked us up the following day and we had a beautiful flight back.

So strike two on the sheep but another goat for Hel and a fine adventure regardless.
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Bent Stick

Re: Another BC adventure

#2 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:11 am

Some amazing country and adventure, beats the fly's and dust i'm chewing on just now.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

andy80

#3 Post by andy80 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Unreal adventure, well done to your wife and great photos.

flyne

#4 Post by flyne » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 am

Awesome story mate loved it
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:17 am

Magic

thanks for sharing
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 am

Morning.

Wow!

Sounds like a great trip and some great photos.

Again next year??????
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tuffcity

#7 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am

Oh ya "Again next year"... :) The remote areas are my "happy place". Moose hunting up next in October.

RC

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Afternoon.

Please I request, beg even, take more photos and write another piece.

The Countryside is amazing. :D

Do you ever go to the NWT???
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tuffcity

#9 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Grahame,

NWT is a bit too far away... :) Plus I would have to hire a guide to hunt there. Each province/territory regulates its own wildlife and dictates who can hunt there and how. In BC, every year I can take any Canadian resident on a "Permit to accompany" for a lot of species. Some species like sheep or grizzly bears or bison are not available to non-residents without hiring a guide service. In the Yukon they have a similar arrangement but a resident hunter can only apply for an "accompany permit" every 3 years.

Any way, I'll post some pics from the next outing if there are any decent ones.

cheers,
RC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

Some great photos of some beautiful country once again RC. I hope you get to take that recurve for a walk on one of these adventures soon mate.

Jeff

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi Jeff,

The curve is going moose hunting. :)

On our longer trips weight is an issue so a secondary "critter getter" is a tough option and my bow usually stays at home unless there is a third person packing a rifle. We have a healthy population of our version of land based great whites (grizzlies). While I haven't had any issues with grizzlies so far, 10-14 days in remote areas without an adequate firearm doesn't sit well with me. Especially when Hel's rifle is a slow load single. lol

I've only had one incident where a bear thought I might be edible and it was a large black bear- I was bowhunting for moose. We ended up having a face to face conversation (3 metres apart) as it was getting dark and I finally convinced him to leave. It is surprising how long one can remain at full draw with a recurve when sufficiently motivated. :)

RC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah I fully understand the need to carry a firearm that is up to the task if a Grizzly decided he wanted to eat you. :shock: I know I have said it before but I'm sure I would have trouble sleeping over there. :lol:

That's great that you are getting a hunt in with the bow though. All the best and I hope you manage to down one of those big critters. As has already been mentioned, please take that Ol' Nikon along so you can share the hunt with us. :biggrin:

Jeff