Other wildlife

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Other wildlife

#1 Post by matt61 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Just a couple of pics of native animals that I got close to whilst out scaring the ferals :biggrin:
Matt
Mum and baby wombat at about ten feet
Mum and baby wombat at about ten feet
506.JPG (103.88 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Came across this Echidna one afternoon chasing rabbits
Came across this Echidna one afternoon chasing rabbits
512.JPG (119.72 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Other wildlife

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 pm

I love these sorts of photos. Thanks for posting them up Matt. :biggrin:

We don't get wombats up here so I have only ever seen one or two live ones in the wild in Victoria. Seen a number of dead ones on the side of the roads in our travels down south though. I'd hate to hit one on our bike or even a car as they are solid things.

Jeff

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Great photos. I was away a few years ago, staying in a shearing shed, as we do, and hear a sound one night. When I had a look it was an echidna making a bed in a wool bail. He must of been cold.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Curvemeister

#4 Post by Curvemeister » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:27 am

Awesome stuff mate , thanks for sharing , have come across the same lil critters a fair few times out hunting.
Ive got some photos of a wombat i came across sunning itself in the morning sun that i was lucky enough to spend a good ten to fifteen minutes observing at around ten feet , until i tried to push my luck , and crawl round the downed wattle i was standing behind and crawl through the bit better than ankle high grass to around 6 ft .
He knew something was up , but the 3d camo suit was doing its job , but he thought discretiong was the better part of valour and casually dropped down into his burrow.

A property i used to spend a lot of summer afternoons chasing bunnies on had an old mangy wombat that i could literally set my watch by , as every afternoon around 5pm he'd start his little patrol of the grassy hill area near one of the warrens .
Munching as he went , over to his favorite wattle to scratch his itchy butt , and up through the ferns higher up the hill .
I have just stood there quietly a few times and had him round 3ft away from me , so close i could stick the recurve out and touch him with the tip of it , and he always never really worried about me even though he could sense i was there .
Only just actually realised a couple of days ago i still have a video of him on my phone walking round my feet grazing .
Poor old bugger is most likely dead now as they laid out some grain laced with that mongrel stuff 1080 to help curb the pig problem they were having , and took out the pigs , rabbits and him from what i can gather as the place is like a ghost town now compared to the past.
I get just as much enjoyment out of having little encounters like that , and shooting them with the camera , as i do flinging arrows at ferals.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 am

Curvemeister wrote:I get just as much enjoyment out of having little encounters like that , and shooting them with the camera , as i do flinging arrows at ferals.
Yeah mate those sorts of encounters are a great part of going for a wander out bush.

The sights and sounds of the bush; can't beat it! :biggrin:

Jeff

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
The sights and sounds of the bush; can't beat it! :biggrin:

Jeff
Amen to that! :wink: :biggrin:

I get a kick out of seeing natives in the wild. Nice pics Matt, thanks.
Last edited by Nephew on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 pm

nice piccies mate :biggrin: