Attn: Jeff (plus airshow photos)

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Siege

Attn: Jeff (plus airshow photos)

#1 Post by Siege » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:03 am

I was reading in Grahame's thread about the moon that you wanted the 70-200mm lens with IS

If it were I, I would save the $1000 and get the exact same lens but without IS
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... focus.html

Also buy it from that link above to save you $1000. In this country the prices are a joke and these guys although there postage can be a little high, they will get it on your door step in three days and canon covers all warranties even if the item is bought from another country. They never used to do this for camera bodies, but now they do.

Seriously though IS is a joke and a waste of money. I have never found anyone who uses it, it's meant to account for hand shake with the lens being heavier, but at the cost of making the image look soft. I always recommend people turn IS off for better results.

With a lens like the 70-200mm most people use it on a tripod or monopod, this removes the need to have IS
Or,
You would on most occasions use this lens during the day, the available light means you can afford not to use IS and still get great shutter speeds. If you were after a shot of the moon like in the other thread, a basic IR will give you the light to be able to achieve this shot with better results, again removing the need to have IR

I used the 70-200mm at last years airshow and I admit planes got lost in the sky, but this was not due to IR, but rather I needed at least 400mm, which canon is giving me for airshow 2013 to 'trial'. :)

At the end of the day it is up to you what you chose to do, but I would save yourself $1000, buy it from B + H and you will be laughing. I even had an issue with the wrong tripod being shipped to me, they had another sent out the same day and a courier pick up the wrong one and get it back to them, all at their cost. They are really easy and great to deal with.

Anyway, enough talk, on with the airshow.....

Gilly

Re: Attn: Jeff (plus airshow photos)

#2 Post by Gilly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 am

Nice pics!
Love a good airshow.

Siege

#3 Post by Siege » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 am

So do I, I have only missed one airshow since it started and that was because my son was in hospital after being born at 24wks.

I wish they could fly fast the 1000k but australia doesn't let it at airshows.
Can't wait for the next one I should be able to bring home better aerial shots during the displays.

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 am

Great shots! Love the ol' 'goony bird'
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:57 am

Nice Piccies......

Siege

#6 Post by Siege » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 am

bigbob wrote:Great shots! Love the ol' 'goony bird'
As do I, I actually go to the airshow to get the ww2 warbirds and things like the DC3, there is nothing in the world like the sound of old prop planes!
I find people prefer images of the jets which is why i put them up.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for the advice Seige. I was interested in the IS because of wandering around without a tripod in low light when hunting and thought it would be helpful in that situation. The 70 -200 is a good lens but the extra reach of the 400 would be great for air shows and out bush also. :biggrin:

Jeff

Siege

#8 Post by Siege » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks for the advice Seige. I was interested in the IS because of wandering around without a tripod in low light when hunting and thought it would be helpful in that situation. The 70 -200 is a good lens but the extra reach of the 400 would be great for air shows and out bush also. :biggrin:

Jeff
The 400 I am using costs about 15k, so if you only use it once in a while there is no point buying one. I could get the 100-400mm and get use out of it, but also the range extender could push my 70-200mm up over that so just need to make a choice at some point.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Siege wrote:The 400 I am using costs about 15k, so if you only use it once in a while there is no point buying one. I could get the 100-400mm and get use out of it, but also the range extender could push my 70-200mm up over that so just need to make a choice at some point.
Yeah mate it all depends on what sort of photography you do most. Also a big limiting factor is if you are a working pro or just a hobbyist. :biggrin:

Jeff

Siege

#10 Post by Siege » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:51 am

Used to use 300mm or 400mm to photograph footy games, but the company I was hired by owned them, man photographing footy all day is boring.

I have been very happy with the 70-200mm for most aplications it has been fantastic, you also have to think about the camera you are using it on, most of the semi-pro have the 1.6 factor making the zoom that little bit longer.

Speaking of the 70-200, I would still avoid IS. a 1x or 2x extender would also be great to add to get that little bit of extra distance, and you are only losing a few stops so for things like airshow they would be great.

Siege

#11 Post by Siege » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 am

the other hting I should of mentioned is you have the 5d, this fact alone Ii would keep away from IS. It has the ability to give you a higher ISO meaning you can get a better shutter speed eliminating camera shake and need for IS

Other thing is, and most people don't realize this, but when I am taking a shot of something and I can't get a shutter speed high enough and there is a risk of shake, I hold my breath and it does steady the camera, much in the same way a sniper holds his breath before each shot.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks Luke. Yeah the 70 - 200's are stellar lenses. I have only used one for a short time and it was the f2.8 non IS version. Out bush I mostly use our faithful old 40D.

Jeff