Some of my shots (not archery related)

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Siege

Some of my shots (not archery related)

#1 Post by Siege » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 am

Hi folks,
These are some of the images I have taken, thought I would share as I find looking at others photos makes you think about shots you want to take, or shots you took that you want to go back and try again etc.
I have heaps more, but not on this computer. Things like Air Show etc.

This first image won me a photo comp in the herald sun, my first win.
Last year I won the Melbourne show domestic animals with this shot. If you look close enough you can see me in the cats eye taking the photo.
I liked this better, but it finished behind it.
This image was used overseas to promote Australia, I think it was India from memory, was a few years ago.
This should of won the Melbourne show last year, but you can only win in one category I found out, so it finished second.
Loving the Aussie bush I have always loved this shot, takes me back. It no longer stands so it is cool to know that this could be the last image ever taken of it.
And to finish for now, a typical image of Melbourne. Because everyone does this shot I don't really like it, I prefer images that are unique, but this image sells. :roll:

Anyway thanks for looking. I am currently building toward a exhibition which I will call Society, and the images are designed to shock and create debate, so I will tell you more down the track. I am also chasing bigger and better awards than the Melbourne Show. When I first started photography I entered these types of comps and got smashed, now that I understand more I think I can really go close to winning. More on this as the images develop :)

slayer

Re: Some of my shots (not archery related)

#2 Post by slayer » Fri May 04, 2012 7:30 pm

you have a gift with your photography! as an amature photogragher myself, i find inspiration in others photography.escpecialy photos of the yester year and nature.with that in mind here are just a few of my own....
Attachments
P1000863.JPG
P1000863.JPG (193.36 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
burdekin trip 060.jpg
burdekin trip 060.jpg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Some really great shots fellas. I must admit I hate cats though. :lol:

Jeff

Siege

#4 Post by Siege » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Slayer when you take a landscape photo you have to remember three things, foreground, middle ground and back ground.
Looking at the car under the tree this image does have these things, but colour would make this image really shine. Either early morning (dawn) or late at night as the sun set will get you are those beautiful red and orange tones through the picture, picking up the colour around it would just enhance the image imo.

Photography is subjective, and some people will like your shots and others will ahte them.

Most photographers prefer black and white, ametuer photographers especially. The thing about black and white is you need to see the image in black and white. Just taking a photo in black and white doesn't make it a good photo, you have to think about hte image before you shoot.

Every photographer when they start go out and take 500 shots, and maybe 4 or 5 of those are really good, or good enough to go back and capture the image slightly different. This is the best piece of advice I was ever given, and I hope it helps you to.......

Before you even get the camera ready, either frre hand or tripod ask yourself one question. If I took this image would I be able to sell it? If you ask this to the shot before you take it you will find that the whole lot of crap disappears and the images you bring home might only be 30 or so, but they are 30 quality images, with hopefully a few exceptions that are brilliant.

The old pump or what ever it is is a nice object to take, but think about your background. ALthough it might be related the chimmeny stack in the background doesn't add anything to the photo, you as a photographer need to make your focal point the part of the image you want people to immedaitly look at, before they then explore the rest of the image.

Also don't forget to change postions. This is a challenge I give people I teach, I call it the coke bottle test. Get your self a bootle and stick it on a table somewhere. Without touching the bottle take a shot that makes this bottle intersting, you can not add anything it can only be a photo of the bottle. I can already think of about 10 ways that bottle could be photographer that are more interesting than just straight on.

So getting back to the pump it is taken at eye height, getting down low maybe even on your belly and using the long grass you could position the grass so that it appears you are looking through the grass at this object, it just adds depth, this of course just being one solution. This would also avoid the homes, or factory waste I assume it is in the left hand side of the image.

Just looking at the sky you could of added some white fluffy clouds behind it in the background, it makes the image more inviting without taking away from the main focal point.

I am not trying to bag the crap out of your images by any means. I am just trying to get you to think about the image so that you can take better images that you may one day want to enter into a comp or something like that.

If you look at the image of the busy cafes in melbourne, the two girls are the first thing you look at, this is the focal point, then you stop and explore the image and find many other things.

Again I don't want to offend anyone, just trying to help you get better images.

Up to the mods etc, but if there enough people with an interest in photography I can start a thread or something like that and start at the beggining and start educating people with photography. I even have little tests and challenges to put into practice what is being taught. Just an idea, I would probably release a new article every friday so that people can read up and then have a go on the weekend. Just my two cents.

cheers

slayer

#5 Post by slayer » Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 pm

thanks for your tuition, i will definetly take that into acount..however i no longer have my good camera as it has since died :sad: i do have two other cameras one for hiking/hunting/fishing and the other is not to bad but not as good as i would like. i know what you are saying about the first photo and its colours only i took the photo in north queensland and every thing around it was bright green! so i tried to make it look that way to suit the older car. and i can take critisism as long as it is constructive because other wise "it is not the critic who counts!"

Siege

#6 Post by Siege » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 pm

how has it 'died' some times people think it is dead when all it really needs is a good service

Nutgrass

#7 Post by Nutgrass » Fri May 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Nice pics mate, that first cat looks like it is need of an education :shock: looks kind of peed off & scary :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Siege

#8 Post by Siege » Wed May 16, 2012 2:53 am

The second cat passed away and we decided to get a new cat so that it would grow up with our boy who has cerebral palsy and get used to his movements etc. The black cat hats anything new and he shows them who is boss, in that photo you can see me with the camera and the mrs is holding the new cat. I knew it would be worth getting the shot and it won the royal melborune so I guess it did. The new cat didn't even pay attention to the hiss he was just happy to be held and patted!

Longbow - I know not everyone loves cats, I have heaps more images if people want to see different things. I am working on a project at the moment which puts me in rural areas alot so I have a lot of different things I shoot. I always keep a camera in the car when ever I go anywhere and I often stop to take a shot.

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Wed May 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Terrific photos and in spite of everything i love that Melbourne shot :surprised: :mrgreen:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Siege wrote:I have heaps more images if people want to see different things. I am working on a project at the moment which puts me in rural areas alot so I have a lot of different things I shoot. I always keep a camera in the car when ever I go anywhere and I often stop to take a shot.
Always up to see other people's photos mate; especially of our great Aussie outdoors.. :biggrin:

Jeff