traditional form

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

traditional form

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:08 pm

...even a Nikon shooter finds a decent shot once in a while. :)

Now that spring is on the up swing and bear season starting to heat up it's time to shake off the winter cobwebs and build the form back up. Unfortunately for me a partially seperated shoulder tendon has side lined my efferts for a few weeks but my daughter has started back at it full on. I worked with her for about an hour and got the bad habits sorted out. :)

Using a camera can be very handy in reviewing form after the shot.

She's coming along nicely!

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

bigbob

Re: traditional form

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Great action shot. Your daughter looks like a medieval warrior princess in action.Very appealing shot!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 pm

bigbob wrote:Great action shot. Your daughter looks like a medieval warrior princess in action.Very appealing shot!
Yes very good picture! Looks good from where I am the only thing I could pick is you might want to trim her finger tabs a little.

Cheers
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 pm

:biggrin: A very very nice picture, but, just one little question, I may be old hat; but is the fletching facing the wrong way?

Over all a very nice picture, and can relate to the shoulder pain

slayer

#5 Post by slayer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

i personaly shoot my arrows both ways, as i have found no diference in performance. i once got told that the"archers paradox"(the flex your arrow has as it is fired)creates the arrow to be away from the rest as it passes so the fletching does not get effected in any way. this of cousre if your arrows are properly suited to your bow. oh and yes great photo! dont stop there as photography is hunting and shooting only in a diferent form!

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 pm

you might want to trim her finger tabs a little
Good eye! :) She needs a new so was using mine.
I may be old hat; but is the fletching facing the wrong way?
As slayer mentioned, I've found that on well spined arrows it doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't usually use a different colour fletch for the cock feather any way. That picture shows the cock feather out.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 am

I may be old hat; but is the fletching facing the wrong way?
I am with RC on that one. It doesn't make a scrap of difference which way the cock vane is facing on feathers. Plastics can kick out away from the arrowplate in my experience and produce a bit of fishtailing for a short distance, but it settles down again after about 15m.

Cock vane out on feather vanes doesn't affect arrow flight in the slightest. Years ago I just shot and shot and shot and shot arrows with cock vane in, out and mixed. That day, I put down some few hundreds in the long hours I used to practice in those days and it did not have the slightest observable affect on arrow flight. Also in those days, the spines of my arrows (as I now know) were all over the place. It still didn't matter.

Your daughter has magnificent form there. A lot of people should have a god look at the alignment of her drawing arm and the arrow. As soon as I see anybody with a drawing arm which is in the same line as the arrow, I know that they are using the correct back muscles to hold and that they will loose cleanly because they are not using their hand to assist in the hold. They only need to 'slip' the fingers of the drawing hand and awaaaay she goes.

She will do well.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue May 01, 2012 7:24 am

Morning All.

Notice the lack of the "Death Grip" so often seen.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

slayer wrote:i personaly shoot my arrows both ways, as i have found no diference in performance. i once got told that the"archers paradox"(the flex your arrow has as it is fired)creates the arrow to be away from the rest as it passes so the fletching does not get effected in any way. this of cousre if your arrows are properly suited to your bow. oh and yes great photo! dont stop there as photography is hunting and shooting only in a diferent form!
I dont even worry about making my cock feather a different colour any more. When I put the arrow on the string I don't check any more which way it is facing.

Her left shoulder being a bit raised isn't really a problem unless she is hitting her arm or the group wanders. This is usually from youth getting used to their bow poundage after shooting for a couple of rounds. Her shoulder will strengthen in time....all good :biggrin:

Congratulations on a very keen and striking student.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au