What Canon lens?

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tommo

What Canon lens?

#1 Post by Tommo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 am

Looking at getting my first DSLR and thinking a Canon 7D,

If I were to get two lenses what sizes would be the most versatile?
Thinking of a 17-55 F2.8 IS USM and a telephoto of some description but not sure which

Wanting to get general fishing, landscapes, fishing action/jump shots, live game shots, hunter with game, angler with fish type pics.

Thoughts and opinions please?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What Canon lens?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

That sounds like it would be a nice set-up. Remember the 17-55 is an EFS lens so won't fit a full frame body if you were ever thinking of going down that path.

For the telephoto side of things you can never have enough reach. If it was me (and I had the money which I don't) I would get the EF 70 - 200 F2.8 IS USM II and use converters for longer stuff. It still performs extremely well with the converters but is very expensive. Another lens I like what I am hearing about it is the new EF 70 - 300 f4-5.6 IS (I think it is f4-5.6). I think it would be a good for out bush but it doesn't let in as much light and you can't use a converter on it - not a Canon one at least.

The old EF 100 - 400 is supposed to be pretty good also but it has the push pull zoom and it is being replaced very soon with the new 200 - 400 f4 but it is rumoured it will cost $8000.00 so probably not an option. :lol:

Let us know what you end up with and please share some photos. :mrgreen:

Jeff

Macca

#3 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Tommo wrote:Looking at getting my first DSLR and thinking a Canon 7D,

If I were to get two lenses what sizes would be the most versatile?
Thinking of a 17-55 F2.8 IS USM and a telephoto of some description but not sure which

Wanting to get general fishing, landscapes, fishing action/jump shots, live game shots, hunter with game, angler with fish type pics.

Thoughts and opinions please?
Howdy Tommo, I have a Cannon DSLR 600D. An all around lens I use is the EF-S
55 - 250. Great general purpose lens, great short to medium lens for your hunting stuff.

Cheers Macca.

Nutgrass

#4 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm

G'day mate.
I guess the sky is the limit here. or maybe how big is your budget :lol:

The 17-55 looks good, although I would prefer the 15-85 (read on)

I can only offer you some insight in to what I have & done.
When I brought the 40d (has the same crop ratio sensor as the 7d), I ordered it with the kit lens 17-85. Has been a great lens. I used it for 80% of my shots. Canon now do a 15-85 which is suppose to be better than the 17-85 (& I see is offered as a kit lens with the 7d). This focal length is the best range for a general use lens I have come across. So much so when I brought the 5d (full frame sensor) I went to the 24-105 which on a full frame sensor is the exact same focal length as the 17-85 on a crop sensor.
I also have a 75-300 D.O. lens in the 40d set up. I used it for hunting, although a bit long for those trophy photos. It is a great lens, maybe not as sharp as the top end (L) lens. But sure is great being compact & so short when zoomed right in.
My 17-85 started to play up on the 40d (years of abuse on dirt bikes, hunting & in the boat) so I went in search of replacement. I was almost sold on the 15-85, then I stumbled on the Tamron 18-270. I was stunned. It was the first non-canon lens I have brought. Now don't get me wrong, it is now Canon (L) grade lens. But a lens that covers that sort of focal range is going to have some distortion. It has become my walk about & hunting lens on the 40d. It is sensational, Short enough for close trophy pics, long enough to get live game in their habitat. All in one lens. I am more than happy with it.

I guess a canon kit lens is a great point to start & will do most of what you need to get going (I like the 15-85).
Now this is where your budget will come in. If it stretches grab a 2nd lens. Something a bit longer (75-300 is common & can be picked up at a reasonable price) or go longer if your minister for war & finance is more negotiable than mine :lol:

Hope this has been of some help.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Tommo

#5 Post by Tommo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the input fellas, a bit more to mull over.
Only found about 10 different lenses I think I would like to try. :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

Tommo wrote:Only found about 10 different lenses I think I would like to try. :biggrin:
Yeah it gets a bit like that. :lol:

Jeff

Tommo

#7 Post by Tommo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 am

Hey Nutgrass, found out today I used a 7D with that same 18-270 Tamron lens on it (not that I had a clue then) last October. Couple of Aussie fishos were over here on a guided trip and I was helping a bit as a translator and got to shoot some pics with that set up while they were fishing.
I thought it was pretty good at the time, and I am fairly sure that that the owner had used this combo for some of his photos that were published in Flylife Magazine articles.
So I think I have found one that should be fairly good, both out bush and on the wallet.

What would make a good second lens? would a 50mm or a wide angle make for good trophy shots?

Nutgrass

#8 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

The Tamron covers so much range. Why not use it for a while & then see what you are chasing ? Sort of suck it & see :wink:
You may decide to go longer like a 400mm or even the sigma 500 :biggrin: But then you might do a heap of close work & find a 50mm prime is the go.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 am

Morning All.
Nutgrass wrote:The Tamron covers so much range. Why not use it for a while & then see what you are chasing ? Sort of suck it & see :wink:
You may decide to go longer like a 400mm or even the sigma 500 :biggrin: But then you might do a heap of close work & find a 50mm prime is the go.
My Opinion.

The Sigma 500mm zoom lenses are a little weighty. Unless you want the 500m capability I would stick to something with a max zoom of roughly 300mm.

Read all the reports and if at all possible try and get 1st hand reports on the lenses before you purchase.

I would not be overly concerned with Canon L lens - their reputation says much. I would happily buy another Sigma as long as the reports give it a good wrap.

I would be happy to buy a lower spec'ed camera to fund a better lens. There is no substitute for good glass.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.