Playing with Colour.

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Playing with Colour.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:04 am

Morning All.

I was just doing a bit of practice on how to do things.
monocoluor.jpg
monocoluor.jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
I like the way this has turned out. In essence the subject of the hot is in colour and the remainder has bee reduced to monochrome. Produces a strong image.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Playing with Colour.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:40 am

Yes, these effects can have impact for sure mate. I think it would look better if just Daryl and the bow and arra were in colour and not any of the background but of course you may like it the way you have it. Thanks for putting it up and it is always fun trying new things. :biggrin:

Jeff

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Jeff
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Yes, these effects can have impact for sure mate. I think it would look better if just Daryl and the bow and arra were in colour and not any of the background but of course you may like it the way you have it. Thanks for putting it up and it is always fun trying new things. :biggrin:

Jeff
I did that pretty quick.

Because I did not chase the brush size I got some overrun. To do it so that only Daryl was in colour would mean a smaller brush size and a fair bit more time. If I was doing the image to print or something I would spend the time - in this case it was just a quick review exercise.

I may do another version without being so broad brushed and swap them over.

That was done by using multiple layers and cutting some of the top layer away. Same technique when doing several exposure at different exposures so that eventually your have everything exposed correctly. Then layering them up and blending them to get a final image that has everything exposed well. Often it is easier than doing "Dodge" or "Burn". (Everyone please note that these techniques originate from the days of using film and darkrooms. There is little that we do today with the digital darkroom that was not done with film in the real darkroom - it is just faster with a digital darkroom.)
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Yeah I have only had a little play with it in Photoshop using a mono layer over the colour and it worked ok. I really need to learn how to do masks better and as Dennis La Varenne will be spending Christmas with us I will be getting some further lessons from him. :mrgreen:

I am still learning lots of little short cuts etc with the Mac also; I stumbled across a couple a few days ago which was excellent for viewing my photos etc.

Messing with our photos is fun but is very time consuming. :lol:

Jeff

cave_canem

#5 Post by cave_canem » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I can see what you are trying to do. Looks good. Now if Ican only find the time to try something like that myself. I have also seen some very nice HDR work around as well. I would love to give that ago.

Mick
"You are the bow from which your children as living arrows are sent forth"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah Mick some HDR stuff looks nice. Gidget does a pretty good job of it from some of the photos he has posted on here at times. :biggrin:

Jeff

JaseW

#7 Post by JaseW » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 pm

I was going to say the same thing about cutting in with a finer brush so that there was no overrun. But you already did it. I really like that effect though. What tool/paint program did you use?

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:20 am

Morning All.

Since I have now Archey stuff for the next fortnight I have the opportunity to do a few other things - like read books or play with photos.

Mick and Jeff.

HDR ay. Obviously you both have plenty of spare time.

Jase.

For me I will grab PaintShop Pro V7 most of the time. Why? Because it is simple to use. Other wise I will grab PhotShop Elements. Both reside on my laptop. PhotoShop CS2 is another alternative - however it is only on my bigger machine and I do not use it often enough.

Playing with photos can consume lots of time - and I mean lots of time.

Playing with HDR can consume lots of time and the end result is not what the original was actually like. Then again photos are rarely the same as what the eye sees of the brave percives.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 am

GrahameA wrote:Playing with photos can consume lots of time - and I mean lots of time.
Now that is an understatement!!! :lol:

I have never tried HDR Grahame but might some day. I have plenty to learn just getting normal colours and lighting right. :oops:

Jase, I use Adobe Bridge (CS5) for converting my RAW files to TIFFS and then Adobe Photoshop (CS5) to do my final tweaks and save as a jpeg.

Jeff

JaseW

#10 Post by JaseW » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks guys.

Definately some tools I need to look into. I wouldn't mind spending the time messing around with them. They look great. Although easy to use is a big one on my list lol. I use enough programs and systems at work to consider learning another complex one. After all, bows, hunting and all its elements are supposed to be enjoyable right? :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:03 am

JaseW wrote:After all, bows, hunting and all its elements are supposed to be enjoyable right?
Absolutely mate but photography is a big part of the above for me and the time I put into post processing my photos is most times very enjoyable. :biggrin:

Jeff