2011 Ozbow Photography Competition!!!

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

I think most of you know that we nearly lost Ozbow recently and that we are still in recovery mode. The good news of course is that we still have the site even though it has some issues. We are hoping that with some more time we can restore it back closer to what we had before the site was lost.

One of the big disappointments when the above happened was that we lost quite a big percentage of the photos attached to posts. These photos are an essential part of the threads on the site and it is hopeful that we can restore a good percentage of them with your help - see this thread:
thread

A number of people have commented on just how much they enjoy the photos posted up on the site and it was suggested that we have a photo competition to encourage members to post up more.

Through the generosity of a number of our great Traditional Bowhunting/Archery suppliers in donating prizes this has become a reality and I am excited to announce the -

There are number of reasons for this competition and of course getting people posting photos up on the site is only one of them.

We hope we will see more people posting on the site rather than just sitting back and reading and looking at what others have taken the time to post and get more people out shooting their bows and taking photos of their adventures. It might also motivate people to make some of their own equipment and show their efforts to others.

Lastly, we at Ozbow wanted to use the competition to say thanks for sticking by us through our recent site problems and for helping us get some of those missing photos posted back up in their respective threads.

The Competition

There will be four sections, these being:

Craftsmanship
Youth
Bowhunting

Traditional Archery

All you have to do to enter is post your photograph in the section it is most suited to eg; a Bowhunting photograph goes in the Bowhunting Section, a photograph of something you made goes in the Craftsmanship Section etc.

There will be prizes for the person who took the photograph judged as the best in each division - see the respective threads for the prizes and further information.

Overall Grand Prize

There will also be a ‘Grand Prize’ of a Howard Hill take-down longbow made to the winners specifications and valued at over $800.00 for the person who took the photograph judged as the very best from ALL those submitted.
Full Bow Strung.jpg
Full Bow Strung.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
1cc0d217e49210ae8a05f8f122e025b9.jpg
1cc0d217e49210ae8a05f8f122e025b9.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
The Grand Prize winner has the choice of any of the bow models listed in the Howard Hill Archery price list except the “Wesley Special” and can choose riser woods etc from any of the standard options. Visit the Howard Hill Archery web site to view the the different bow models. Howard Hill Archery

This bow is being donated by Ben Maher (wishsong) of ‘Longshot Archery and Outdoors’. It was Ben who suggested that we have this competition and generously donated this very special prize.
Click on logo to visit web site
Click on logo to visit web site
Longshot Archery.png (40.93 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
[/url]

General Competition Rules

1. All photographs submitted must have been taken in 2011.
2. All photographs must be submitted by the person who actually took the photograph except in the case of youth who may have the photograph submitted by their parents and accompanied by a note explaining who the Photographer was.
3. All photographs must be taken with a normal digital or film camera only (no photographs will be accepted if they have been taken from a frame in a video file).
4. Photographs must be submitted as they were taken at the time - normal editing procedures allowed, eg: contrast and lighting adjustments, cropping, resizing and sharpening. Conversion to Black & White also allowed.
5. No frames allowed around the photographs.
6. Photographs are to be no bigger than 800 pixels along the longest side and the file size is not to be bigger than 150kb.
7. Photos must be uploaded directly to the Ozbow site and not hosted by Photobucket or the likes.
8. Photographs with large watermarks, or those which obscure the main subject do not qualify for entry.
9. Copyright on all images remains that of the Photographer.
10. You may enter as many photographs as you wish in any of the sections you are eligible to enter.
11. By entering any photograph in this competition you give Ozbow permission to use such photograph for promotional purposes either on the www or in print.
12. Submissions close at midnight on Sunday the 11th of December 2011.
13. The winner will be announced later that week.

All the best and please post your photographs in their respective sections.

Jeff

Helpful hints when taking a photograph

1. Is there a clear center of interest?   In a strong photo, the viewer can immediately identify the subject. While this sounds only too obvious, a surprisingly high number of photos fail to clearly identify the main subject. Instead, a complex montage of elements compete for the viewer's attention.

In a strong photo, the subject should dominate the image and form the viewer's first impression. If the subject is strong, the viewer's eyes may move to explore other areas of the image, but the eyes are drawn inevitably back to the subject.

2. Is the image composed well?   In a strong photo, there should be a sense of overall organization. Simply put, composition is the process of establishing a sense of order for the elements within an image.

Here are a few basic composition pointers.

(a) Fill the frame:  Filling the frame helps establish the center of interest, and, simultaneously, it helps exclude competing background details.
(b) Organize elements:  In composition, the Rule of Thirds is often used to organize elements in a composition. This rule involves dividing a space, such as a photographic frame, into equal segments to create pleasing proportions (See diagram). Then, when you place the subject of the photo at one of the intersection points, the result is a pleasing sense of order.
Rule of Thirds.png
Rule of Thirds.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
(c) Control the background:  A non-distracting background is a compositional tool to help bring attention to the subject of the photo. You can control the background by moving your position or moving the subject to avoid background distractions and by using a wider aperture (smaller f-stop) to blur the background. It's a good practice to review the entire scene and, when possible, eliminate or rearrange as many distracting background elements.
(d) Keep it simple:  The fewer the elements in a photo, the stronger the statement the image makes. Simplicity also helps prevent the viewer's eye from being distracted.

3. Is the focus crisp?   With the exception of photos that either intentionally show motion or are taken as soft-focus images (such as a portrait), tack-sharp focus is one of the first things that everyone notices first about an image. Going a step further, the center of focus should be on the center of interest of the subject.  The sharpest point of the picture should pinpoint what the photographer sees as the most important aspect of the image.

4. Does the photo tell a story?   Most often, the difference between a photo you remember and one that you quickly forget depends on whether the photo tells a story.
In strong photos, the story is revealed at first glance, and it is self-contained. In the best images, the story evokes an emotional response from the viewer. I believe it's that emotional response that ultimately makes the image memorable.

5. Does the lighting enhance the subject and message?   When taking photos, light should be used to its maximum potential to reveal what's important in the image and to set the overall tone of the photo.

In masterful hands, lighting is used selectively to focus attention on specific areas of the subject while simultaneously demphasizing less important areas; to guide by leading the eye through the composition, and to establish the overall mood and tone of the image by taking advantage of the different temperatures (colors) of light.
Light is another "design tool" that can be used to enhance the overall mood and intent of the image and subject.  And, of course, there are few photographers who fail to take advantage of the superb colors of light during sunrises and sunsets.

6. Is the approach creative?   In broad terms, we define "creative" as an image that goes beyond predictable techniques and treatments. In more specific terms, the best creative images show subjects through the photographers' eyes and perspective. In other words, the photographer reveals the subject in extraordinary ways: ways that the viewer otherwise would not have seen.

Tuffcity

Re: 2011 Ozbow Photography Competition!!!

#2 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 am

Great idea! There are some excellent photographers that frequent this site and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 am

Great idea, this will stimulate every bodies interest in actually taking those shots and posting them. Many thanks to 'wishsong' for the very generous gesture of donating the terrific Takedown Howard Hill too!
Last edited by bigbob on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

wishsong

#4 Post by wishsong » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 am

Should be great ... looking forward to seeing some great pics .

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:42 pm

That Ben Maher's a nice bloke. :biggrin:
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:44 pm

So, is there a thread for these competitions in each section, or does one just create a thread specific to that photo?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Ben,

You post the photos in the section (thread) they belong to just as you have done with your hunting photos.

If you have photos taken while you were at a Trad shoot or of your Trad equipment for example, you would post them in the 'Traditional Archery Section' thread. I hope that clears things up.

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#8 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 am

Okay, I'll give it a try. Cheers!

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 am

Good idea Jeff,but i'm not much chop with a camera :oops:

wishsong

#10 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:14 am

LB ... neither am I mate ! lol :cry:
But I reckon ya gottabe in it too win it ! The best photo's I ever took where just spontaneous ones ..... but they are the ones people comment on when I force them [ yes .. force them ] to peruse my Bowhunting and archery albums ... I am about as artistic as the very stick figures I still struggle draw ...... :lol:

TomMcDonald

#11 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for this guys. I'll have to dust the camera off and have a go.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Man time fly's,only 14 days to go. :surprised: