canon ef 28-300 f3.5-5.6 usm L series lens

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

canon ef 28-300 f3.5-5.6 usm L series lens

#1 Post by bear74 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 am

gday fellas, i am looking at getting this lens has anyone got or had one? i need one lens as an alrounder and this was the best i have found!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

GrahameA

Re: canon ef 28-300 f3.5-5.6 usm L series lens

#2 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 am

bear74 wrote:gday fellas, i am looking at getting this lens has anyone got or had one? i need one lens as an alrounder and this was the best i have found!
I will put my kneck on the line. It is a Canon 'L', by default it will be very good. Would I buy one? A very definite, "Yes", it is purely a matter of the dollar trade-off. 'L' Series Canon lenses are expensive however as a general rule, very, very good. The pain of buying an L Series will only last for a day or two.

Slightly to one side. You may find that the top end is not enough and the bottom end to much and that lens is heavy. Are you prepared to carry that much weight around to take a few photos of the local flowers. One lens to do everything is a big ask. Then again, from experience it is interesting what you can achieve if you only have one lens.

If it was me I would consider the option of buying a couple of lenses or even three. Note: it took me several years to convince myself to buy the 150-500mm zoom. Prior I was happy using a 90-300mm zoom. I had intended to buy the 50-500mm however with a lot of deliberation I went with 150-500. The decision to purchase the 17-70 took about thirty minutes. And I know a few other people who have purchased one after using mine.

Have a look at what is available for slightly less dollars http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/lenses and the quality is almost good as Canon. Warning Canon are reputed to be built tough and would probably survive a fall better than a Sigma - I would strongly suggest that dropping any lens/camera is an invitation to disaster. Caveat -Every manufacturer makes lenses that are not "the best". Always seek comments on a specific lens.

This supplier offers very competitive pricing http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ and if you are local you can go and collect. Caveat - I have been very happy with their service/prices so far and will buy again. As with all suppliers that can change if I have a bad experience with them.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bear74

#3 Post by bear74 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 am

cheers grahame, the reason behind having one lens is so I dont have to worry about salt spray and dust intrusion during fishing and hunting adventures when i do an lens change. I know its heavy but it will be lighter and less bulky than carrying 2-3 lens. when hunting and fishing i use an Ortlieb waterproof camera bag so i am really restricted to one lens.

Bear

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 am

Morning Bear.
bear74 wrote:cheers grahame, the reason behind having one lens is so I dont have to worry about salt spray and dust intrusion during fishing and hunting adventures when i do an lens change. I know its heavy but it will be lighter and less bulky than carrying 2-3 lens. when hunting and fishing i use an Ortlieb waterproof camera bag so i am really restricted to one lens.

Bear
I can relate to that. My solution to the issue is a couple of camera bodies. I do not change lenses in dusty conditions.

As a personal thing I always use to feel as if I never had enough telephoto capability Now with the 500 I know I am right on the edge - still not enough sometimes. Given the light conditions when wildlife is out an about I would be better served by something with a much bigger aperture. Then I would struggle to carry it, etc and then there is the is the cost. Even with the 500 it really does need a tripod.

One seems to end up in this vicious circle of more capability>more gear>more weight>more of a struggle to take it all. Carrying all the stuff can be a killer.

Have fun with the Canon. So where are the photos??
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

piggy

#5 Post by piggy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Mate I use a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS usm and it is weighty and awkward to carry but the photographic rewards are worth it.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm late on this one but have you considered the new 70 - 300 f4 - 5.6 L lens? It is more compact, has the latest image stabilising, has great reviews and is around $1,000 cheaper. It would be worth a look IMO.

Jeff

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 pm

the problem with the lenses 55mm and above they dont allow me to capture portrate shots of people while in the boat holding fish due to the size of the boat and not being able to get them fully in frame. I really need the broad focal range offered in this lense while getting the best quality pics possible without having to change lenses(I have missed heaps of awesome shots due to not having the right focal range lens attached to the camera). I had a test run yesterday of one for a few hours from a local retailer and it cerntainly was a good lens though it will take some getting used to the push/pull zoom design. thanks for all the imput!

Bear

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 pm

So did you buy the 28 - 300; if you did congrats and please let us know how it goes. :D

Jeff

bear74

#9 Post by bear74 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 am

I will be buying this lens shortly as the retailer wants $3600 for the lens and I have found them for $2100 online. the retailer is telling me there is no warranty unless you buy in australia? though I have read elsewhere that all lenses have international warranty? has anyone else heard this or had real life experience with canon camera warranty bought from overseas?

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 am

Morning All.
bear74 wrote:I will be buying this lens shortly as the retailer wants $3600 for the lens and I have found them for $2100 online. the retailer is telling me there is no warranty unless you buy in australia? though I have read elsewhere that all lenses have international warranty? has anyone else heard this or had real life experience with canon camera warranty bought from overseas?

I can buy for $2700 on the Gold Coast. http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/webapp/ ... __image_0#

This what they say about warranty and I would contact them regarding the Canon L waaranty http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/webapp/ ... 1_Warranty

They come with their warranty and even if they did not I can get a lot of work done for $900. I use to be a longterm customer of one of the bigger camera shops in Brisbane - I can buy significantly cheaper from the Coast and get better service.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 am

Wow $3,600.00 is way too expensive. :shock: It is my belief that all Canon 'L' lenses have international warranty but not Canon bodies. Most times the grey market online shops get Canon or one of their agents to do warranty repairs anyway. Cameras Direct aren't always the cheapest but they are great to deal with and I have bought from them in the past.

Jeff

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Jeff.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Cameras Direct aren't always the cheapest but they are great to deal with and I have bought from them in the past.
My sentiments are the same.
Grahame.

bear74

#13 Post by bear74 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

interestingly, canon says as of september the 1st they no longer warrant any product including "L" series lenses, they said to me that all products have to purchased through an approved australian/NZ canon importer to get warranty. I said what if I purchase here then travel overseas and the product fails as I am a travel photojournalist?
he says most countries are the same and will not honour a warranty claim unless purchased there!
I said, well I will buy overseas then and save a grand or more declare it on my contents insurance and get it replaced if it is broken, fails or stolen!
he stutters and says well I guess you can do it that way.
damn right thats what I will do!

Bear

bear74

#14 Post by bear74 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 pm

bit off track from the original post but these Importers/retailers are really giving me the POOPs!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 pm

bear74 wrote:interestingly, canon says as of september the 1st they no longer warrant any product including "L" series lenses, they said to me that all products have to purchased through an approved australian/NZ canon importer to get warranty.
That is disappointing but Canon aren't the only ones trying this one on. :x Anyway, as I said above the grey importers use Canon or their agents most times I believe to do their warranty repairs anyway.

Jeff

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 am

Morning All.
bear74 wrote:....
he says most countries are the same and will not honour a warranty claim unless purchased there!
I said, well I will buy overseas then and save a grand or more declare it on my contents insurance and get it replaced if it is broken, fails or stolen!
he stutters and says well I guess you can do it that way.
damn right thats what I will do!
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Wow $3,600.00 is way too expensive. :shock:
Well $2600 seems to be the going price on the Gold Coast. http://www.imagingworld.com.au/lens/can ... s-usm.html

Even the Australian dealers are offering it for $3000 http://camerapro.net.au/canon-28300mm-f ... p-953.html

It would seem apparent he is not interested in the sale.

##############
bear74 wrote:bit off track from the original post but these Importers/retailers are really giving me the POOPs!
Poor service combined with inflated prices is not a good way to make a sale.
Grahame.