Flicks for Stickbow Hunter

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

SouthTexasPighunter

Flicks for Stickbow Hunter

#1 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Big buck Erics client 2010 Dec.jpg
Big buck Erics client 2010 Dec.jpg (66.66 KiB) Viewed 5545 times
Here's a 150 class whitetail deer one of my clients took last Winter. I got him within 40 yards of the buck.
cropped taxidermy photo 2 deer.jpg
cropped taxidermy photo 2 deer.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 5545 times
Here is one of the bucks I mounted for my neighbor last summer.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

SouthTexasPighunter

Re: Flicks for Stickbow Hunter

#2 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:13 pm

cropped taxidermy photo 3.jpg
cropped taxidermy photo 3.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Another angle.
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Wow, they are some big Whitetails!!! :shock:

You are a talented man doing that taxidermy work, well done. :D

Have you got any photos of your Trad equipment and the country you hunt in?

Thanks for the photos mate.

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#4 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Yes I do brother but I am going to have to email it to you for help posting I cannot get the others to resize,my photo package on my puter is expiredand until I get another one to upgrade I'm out of luck.
Eric

SouthTexasPighunter

#5 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Chekmate Pic 2011.jpg
Chekmate Pic 2011.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Hopefully this one comes out. just a coyote and one of my recurves.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks and no problems with sending the photos to me. Is that a Checkmate recurve?

Jeff

piggy

#7 Post by piggy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice work and thanks for sharing, The Whitetail Buck is a beautiful animal, would love to see some pictures of the country you hunt.

Cheers Mate

Paul

SouthTexasPighunter

#8 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Yes that is a Chek-mate. I have it posted for sale in the classifieds right now. I am thinning the pool so I can get another one Or maybe get another Tattoo Or finish off my bowfishing deck for my boat. By the way are there any Blokes here from New Zealand. I'm tryin to get a traditional Maori tattoo with certain symbols of the earth and I need the true meanings so I do not offend the culture. I'm going to put together a nice pattern that represents my life in Family, warrior and Traditional hunter. Turtle Shark and Boar but I need the intricacies of the inner patterns. Anyhow, if you have a peep of info shoot it to me.
I will try to post some terrain pictures to show yall where I hunt. Lots of thick brush some flat open areas mesquite, Oak, and cactus flats. A little bit of everything and if I can get this p#sser of a boat motor running again the river and lake where I chase Alligator gar. Image Here are a few I resized on Photo bucket let me know if they come out. Its gar Mule deer deer my big boar my son with his first deer and some others mixed in.
STP
By the way the fellas with the gar are my cousins. Hard to be in the flick if your taking the flick. :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 am

Eric, thanks I thought it was a checkmate. Those photos are just too small and if they were a link it doesn't work. :(

Jeff

wishsong

#10 Post by wishsong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:45 pm

a beautiful animal to be sure that whitetail ...
Congrats .

SouthTexasPighunter

#11 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:18 am

I will trhttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/sotxpighunter/IMG_0636-1.jpgy redoing the link to photobucket. Let me know if they are still too small.
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 am

Eric,

The link won't open; I tried it without the 'tr' in front and got to photobucket but said it couldn't find the page. :(

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#13 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:46 am

Well that stinks. Let me try one more thing. Post em in a bit.
STP

SouthTexasPighunter

#14 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 am

Here we go if this one doesnt work I will send them to you and then shoot my computer!!! http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/so ... 20animals/ Hopefully this one will work its the entire album.
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 am

Success at last mate!!! :lol: What an interesting lot of photos. The Mulie was a nice buck. That boar you got was certainly a good hunk of pork too - great stuff! :D Those alligator gar always amaze me, they are huge. :shock: What do you do with aligators, do you eat them, sell the skins etc? Also I wouldn't mind sending an arra at one of those Javalinas; I have heard it said that they can have a real attitude! :lol:

Sorry for all the questions but you posted very interesting photos. :D Thanks mate.

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#16 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am

Its O.K. the Mulie was taken by a very good friend of mine in the western part of the State in the Davis Mountains. He is a stick bow shooter but killed this one with is wheelie bow at 12 yards. The boar is my biggest right there he is field dressed be cause the four of us couldnt pick him up with guts and all. He wound up weighing in at 315lbs without his guts. his ivory was just over 3 and 1/4 inches I shot him with my Big River Flatbow at about 32 yards with a Dougie Fir Tapered shaft and a now extinct 125 grain Magnus Journeyman( they dont make em any more). The gar we got just south of where I live here on the Frio River and San Miguel Creek, these two water ways feed into each other then into Choke Canyon Lake. Lots of gar, catfish, Bass, Crappie, White Bass, freshwater Drum, Carp, Smallmouth Buffalo fish ( my favorite bait for Big Gar on Rod and Reel) and a few others. Oh LOTS of Tilapia that we can also shoot with archery gear. The Javalinas used to be everywhere here in Texas now they are in pockets mainly in South and West Texas. They are a bowhunters dream you can Very close to them if you move slowly. They can be Highly aggressive and I have had them flank me on two sides trying to bet back to the one that I shot because of the injured ones squeeling. They come back bristled up and popping their teeth together. We who hunt pigs with dogs hate to run into them while running the dogs because they will Kill a dog faster thatn a 200 pound boar with big cutters. You see they have cutting Teeth both top and bottom which act like scissors and they can turn and touch their backside with their noses, so when a dog grabbs for a bite the little B######s simply turn end to end and severly cut the dogs with each pass of their face. They have a tell tale odor that when we smell it we call the dogs in and move off to hunt another area. They make very nice mounts but the boars are almost so smelly that they arent worth eating because you wind up tasting the skunky smell for about a week. The females and younger boars you can eat and when fixed properly are very good in my opinion. Most weekend hunters will not even consider eating them. Now the Old School fellows would rather eat them than some pigs. They are members of the rodent family and when you see them up close you can see the similarities. Yes we do eat the alligators and also sell the hides but this was a bad year price wise for the skins so I am having mine tanned and I am going to have some items made. Wallets and arm guard etc. Now if you want to ever come over for a Javalina let me know I am partnered with quite a few Outfitters that have hunts for them. Some bow only and some rifle and bow. I have more pictures in my home files that I havent put on Photobucket but with some time I will get them there along with whatever I get in this hunting season. Right now I am working on two deer (Whitetails) another Muluie a Corsican Ram a Bobcat and I may do a couple Javalinas for advertising purposes. Oh I also have to do a Grey Fox along with several boars.
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey mate thanks for all that info; it's great reading about hunting other places and animals. A 315 lb boar gutted is a BIG pig alright, congrats!!!

Those Aligator Gar are just amazing and no doubt give you a good battle trying to land them; those teeth would mess ya up real bad. :shock:

We have crocodiles out here but they are totally protected in the wild. :roll: They are farmed though.

I had heard the Javalinas are fierce little critters. I didn't know about their super bad smell though. Quite frankly I wouldn't eat an old boar pig either. I'd imagine the mounts you do would hold their smell quite a bit too? I don't think I will ever travel overseas mate let alone hunting overseas but thanks for the offer. You are welcome to come for a hunt if you ever find yourself down this way also.

It sounds like you are busy which I guess is good. :D

Thanks once again for the photos and info; it is always of interest to me.

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#18 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks Jeff. After I flesh salt and degrease the animals I put them in an acid bath to cure the skin then I actually tan them. If after all that they still smell even a little I have a special concoction that I use to deodorize them which leaves a nice lavender scent and totally kills the smell that's offensive. Hey you never know about coming over here anything is possible. :D
Eric

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Eric,

That must be a good brew you have to stop the smell. I have a 25 year old billy (feral goat) mount on the wall here and in damp weather you know he is there when ya walk past. :shock: :lol: Being a Taxidermist would be an interesting occupation.

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#20 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:03 am

Patience my friend lots of patience. You must never rush anything and plan for the worst case scenario just to be safe. But you cannot let fear take over what you want to accomplish. Here in the next few weeks I will be working on a diarama that will have two pigs fighting so I will post kind of a build along as I go from the tanning stages through the finished scene. In between I will carve and make cactus plants and earth production along with other tidbits that will make up the terrain and finish up with arirbrush painting.
Eric

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am

Wow that all sounds very interesting and myself and others I'm sure will really enjoy the build-a-long. I hope you also get some huntin' time in between all the work. :D

Jeff

rodlonq

#22 Post by rodlonq » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Great work STP. The white tail mount is excellent. Looking forward to your build along, you have a very interesting trade indeed.

Cheers....... Rod

blu-dog

#23 Post by blu-dog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks STP...looking forward to the buid along - will be very interesting I'm sure!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...