2011 Nationals

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

2011 Nationals

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 am

Morning All.

Just spent the week at the Nationals - along with a few cameras.

Yesterday was Clout and I happened to notice a large dead tree that had a few resident Birds. Grabbed the camera with long........... lens and snapped off a few shots. 500mm is considered by the avian aficionados as the minimum length for bird use. They are probably correct. I was wishing for a 1.5X or 2X tele-converter.
bird01.jpg
bird01.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Wing shot as it flew in to the tree.
bird02.jpg
bird02.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Another wing shot but much easier as it was just hopping around in local area.
bird03.jpg
bird03.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 892 times
They just seemed to be squabbling over something.
bird04.jpg
bird04.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 892 times
An Ibis - that I happened to notice during lunch feeding in the Marshland - part of the range and it was not Marshland until the recent rain, the lot that started in November and has continued. :D

A comment about long lenses. I am using a 150-500mm Sigma. It is a handful and really requires at least a mono-pod. If you do not use some form of support your wrist and shoulder will know about it after using it for a day or two. An acquaintance of mine was using a similar lens with a 2X teleconverter. He moved to using an external shutter release as the vibration from his hand was causing vibration issues if he released the shutter normally! Probably would also have helped to have used mirror lock-up.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.