sunday stroll in the back yard

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

texx

sunday stroll in the back yard

#1 Post by texx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:39 am

went for a stroll at home today , first time for a long while .
sorry about the stringless weapon but i am not good enough yet to even consider pointing a arrow at a living critter .
but i thought i would put a pic in here anyway ..

johno
Attachments
P1010010.JPG
P1010010.JPG (160.9 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
always seems to happen when its least expected most

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: sunday stroll in the back yard

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Good one, Johno. What rifle / bullet? I had a similar walk yesterday. Cheers, Ben
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

texx

#3 Post by texx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:24 pm

thats my little fox outfit that i used many years ago when fox skins were worth some thing, i did a lot of fox shooting to help supplement my other shooting income.
its a bruno zkw465 twin set trigger in .17 ackley hornet , blued action, stainless sprinter arms barrel .it has a loopy 3.5-10 x 50 VX111 on top
it aint pretty but i love the thing .
tiny little 20 grain V-max pills cant remember the load it is written down with my reloading gear ,i dont need to load very often cos i load quite a few at a time and they last a long time cos i dont do much shooting these days.
they are only little pills but very accurate and placed well they do the job , thats the way i like to shoot light and in the right spot , never been a fan of cannons .
but i did love my 22.250 remy 700 bdl heavy barrel which i dont have any more :cry: :cry: gee i miss that rifle.

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

So you would've head-shot 'em, eh? Good shooting! I'm opposite to you, in terms of metaphorical cups of tea: My favourites (and almost only) are .416 Rigby (CZ550) and .450/.400 3" NE (Ruger No.1). These things run projectiles of 400 grains or more. I'd love to take a cartridge comparison photo of the .17 Ackley Hornet next to the .416 Rigby! I'll send you a PM.

texx

#5 Post by texx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:19 pm

yeah well i think some one once said " its not the size of the thing it's how you use it "
.i have a 303 i hardly ever use it, i have a .222 needs a better scope, i had a 22.250 i loved it, i had a 270 more gun than needed for most game in my area though was nice and flat to shoot .
my shooting partner has 218 bee , 25.06 , 375 h&h i like those too , but we can only have so many and the 375 h&h makes the foxes hard to skin .
with the little 17 ackley quartered away or side on i hit em in the butt of the ear , front on i wait till they have their head down and whack em between the eyes , same with the 22.250 realy

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Tony-Bloody-Jensen, thou scoundrel! You and Jack O'Connor gangin'-up on me to give me a hard time again! I think I need to compensate further with a .505 Gibbs, but I'm too scared of my wife!

Now I know how poor Jeff felt!

:D

dawallace45

#7 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 am

I've had a number of calibres over the years but got sick of reloading 13 or 14 different calibres have got rid of most of them now and only have to reload for 303 , 35/303 , 45 colt and 30/06 , actually I really only need to reload for 30/06 most times as it the calibre I use most , only use the rest enough to have to reload them every five years or so now .

For my usage the 30/06 is pretty much the ideal cartridge

David