Canon 300mm Zoom.

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Canon 300mm Zoom.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Afternoon All.

Nothing to do with Archery - but good for an idea what a lens is capable of since DylaK just spent some money on a 300mm Canon zoom. These were shot with a Canon 90-300 mm zoom. They were taken from the stand directly behind the Catcher and the Pitcher is at least 70yds away. This was at a Brisbane Bandits game a few weeks ago.
Img_2387.jpg
Img_2387.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
The checkering pattern is a result of the photo being taken through a safety net - to protect spectators. The lens was wide open which gives a shallow depth of field and thus the net is blurred almost out.
Img_2391.jpg
Img_2391.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

Re: Canon 300mm Zoom.

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 pm

wow now thats a lens. Great stuff.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Nutgrass

#3 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Very good indeed, if you didn't say about the mesh, I was putting it down a pattern in the turf :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:30 pm

I was wondering what the banding was so I'm glad you told us Grahame. :lol:

Jeff

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:43 pm

Very nice photos. Hopefully I will be able to take such nice photos soon!

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:31 am

Morning All.

Took a longer lens last night - more of an exercise in trying out its capabilities than anything else. This was taken from roughly the same position and it is wound back to around 300mm.
Things to note:
The photo was taken in the early evening with most of the light coming from artificial lighting.
* The hash pattern is still there if you look for it.
* I have wound the ISO up to 800 to offset the lack of light even so the slow shutter speed is visible in the blur of the Pitchers hand as he completes the pitch.
* The penalty of winding up the ISO is the increased noise (or grain) in the image.
* The image was shot handheld and the effect of "Image Stabilisation" is visible in the lack of "camera shake".
* The aperture was 6.3 resulting in a shallow depth of field.
Img_1686.jpg
Img_1686.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
As a comment - I shot probably 50 photos to get that one image where the pitcher and the ball were just right.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nutgrass

#7 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:39 am

GrahameA wrote:
As a comment - I shot probably 50 photos to get that one image where the pitcher and the ball were just right.
The beauty of digital film mate 8) I find when doing something new with the camera, or just experimenting I do a similar thing 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 am

Morning.
gidget wrote:
GrahameA wrote:
The beauty of digital film mate 8) I find when doing something new with the camera, or just experimenting I do a similar thing 8)
Digital is wonderful - somewhat faster to see the results and a lot cheaper .... plus no smelly chemicals. On the downside many do not think a lot about composition, they just rattle off more exposures. Plus with a decreased dynamic range we lose some impact. Then again there are ways of getting it back for the more enthusiastic amongst us.

I am guilty of often just playing with my cameras so I can try things out. Eventually you learn what all the different buttons etc. do. In Brisbane at the moment it is overcast and their is a light drizzle. I really should go out and take a few photos - just to show the place in different weather.
Grahame.