Beast the Colour of Winter (now with story)

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Beast the Colour of Winter (now with story)

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Ah, that time of the year again when I point my nose north again and head out to hunt ... something. My wife rediscovered hunting last year and while she is not an archer, she has developed an interest in muzzle loaders. Generally I chase moose or elk with my long time hunting partner but this year my wife and I decided to try something different. Usually ideas that are born over a glass or two of whiskey look good on paper but rarely are put into practice, but this time it all came together and we headed out to chase mountain goats with a side line in grizzly bears.

At the end of September we fly 2400 kms up to Whitehorse, Yukon, piled our gear into our good friend's truck, hooked up his jet boat and the 3 of us drove 800 kms back into BC to hunt along the Sikine River.

It's been years since I've hunted mountain goats and the first time for my wife so we were pretty excited. I quickly discovered that the mountains aren't getting any smaller. :) Here's a few shots from the trip.

On the way with our deluxe accomodation

On the way into where we launched- this is a tributary river to the Stikine

Day one

One of our rarely seen foxes

Weather can change drastically overnight at this time of year.

Snow day on the river

A day later it's gone

The white blob in the next picture is the goat. I took this pic from down at the river and about a km from the goat. We spotted him too late in the afternoon on day 3 and on day 4 went after him

My wife took a goat on the first day and on day 4 we put a 3 hour stock on a goat for me. Mountain goats are generally cliff dwellers and we'd glass for them from the river then hike up to them. We broke out of the bush above the cliff top and not exactly sure where he was I checked my down wind side clearing first then turned around to find him coming in my direction from the up wind side. A very brief 50 metre stare down occured then he decide he needed to be somewhere else. Here I'm checking over the cliff edge to see if he had just retreated over the edge.

Late in the day and still a hike back down to the boat.

Back to sun on the next day. My wife glassing from the boat and me looking at a billy with a spotting sope.

RC
Last edited by Tuffcity on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Beast the Colour of Winter

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Really nice country you have, there. Thanks, and good luck!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Tuffcity

#3 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 am

Tony,

The goats were open without a special permit in this area but the grizzly was on a lottery. It's a big management area with quite a few tags available so the odds of winning one is quite high. Didn't see any bears though, but given the lateness of the season and the fact that the salmon runs had finished I'm not really surprised. Might try it again next year. :)

RC

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 am

:) Nice pictures, and a nice picture of a good looking fox. But they're not so rare down under in Aussie land.
Thanks for the story, I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but all in all I hope you had a wonderful time away together. regards,.........Bill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the update RC. As has been mentioned, beatiful country and great pics! :D Now that would be real hard huntin' in those mountains. :shock: I look forward to seeing and reading more about the trip.

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:56 pm

RC great photos as usual mate. Truely worth a visit before we push the flowers to the surface.

Thanks for posting them.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

jindydiver

#7 Post by jindydiver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I love those Autumn colors :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Tuffcity

Re: Beast the Colour of Winter (now with story)

#8 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 am

Since my wife re-discovered hunting last year it’s been a whole lot easier to get out and do more of it.  Still riding the high from her success last year when she took a whitetail and mulie, we planned a trip for this year for goats and grizzly.. The goats were under a general open season and we each drew a permit for the grizzly.

She discovered muzzleloaders last year while on a trip to the Yukon with a friend of ours, who is a huge ml hunter. He offered to let her use his back up muzzlestuffer for this hunt and she was hooked. I was going to try and get one (griz or goat) with my bow.

Oct 4th found us drifting down the river and glassing a lone billy lounging on a cliff face. We put the spotting scope on him and decided to go for it. There was no question that she was first up to bat, plus I really enjoy being guide/packer/spotter/etc for new hunters on a chase.

I shot a compass bearing from the boat to the goat and 2 hours later, after pushing up a steep hill side filled with willow, birch, maple and various prickly bits of shintangle we were a little over 100yds away from a bedded billy. She has been hitting the gym for the past year and I’m pretty sure she only broke a sweat to make me feel better. I, on the other hand, almost blew a lung dragging my sorry ass up the hill.

We found the goat were we had last seen him when we left the boat but, even though we were almost level with him, we had a hard time finding a clear shot through the canopy.
We finally found a window big enough to get a clear shot and she sat with her back to a tree and used her knee to rest her elbow on. I parked down beside her and watched the billy through my bino’s.

This is only the third animal she’d ever put crosshairs on and I watched out of the corner of my eye as she got her breathing under control and steadied up her aim. I watched the goat for what seemed like minutes when a cloud of smoke temporarily obscured my vision and the concussion from that big .50 cal assaulted me.

I watched the billy jump up, turn 180 degrees and take one step before he plummeted off the cliff. He vanished from sight on his way down and we heard one loud crash as he hit shrubbery.

Half an hour later we found him hung up against a small tree, dead as a post. To date, she’s 3 shots for 3 animals.

Three days later it was my turn. We had found a billy high on a cliff the day before and returned the next day to discover he was still there. A not so leisurely 3 hour hike later we poked through the bush at the top of the cliff where we though he should be. Half way up I got hung up in a bunch of bushes and managed to snap in half one of my labour intensive arrows I had made for this trip. Now at the top I had two choices, left or right, and decided to check the right hand, downwind clearing first.

I should have hooked a left.

I turned around and looked up to find the billy walking towards me from about 50 metres away. We both saw each other at about the same time and he quickly decided that he needed to be somewhere else.

I tracked him for a couple of hundred yards along the top of the cliffs then lost his sign. I wasn’t sure if he went into the heavy brush or over the edge.

We returned to the cliffs the next day, unsure if he would still be there or if we had spooked him into the next mountain range. His tracks from the previous day suggested that he hadn’t left in a hurry so I was optimistic that he might still be around.

It was a beautiful day and the black flies were out in full force, and for some reason I seem to be candy to blackflies. God, I hate them. :D

I spotted him in a different part of the cliff structure and knew immediately that there wasn’t a hope of getting in close enough for a shot with my recurve. Out came wife’s muzzleloader and off we went in pursuit. Another shot with the compass and within an hour we were on top of a large slide looking for Mr. Billy.

I saw a white object move about 60 metres away and promptly realized that I hadn’t put a primer in the rifle. I ripped off my glove and dug into my pocket for one. By this time the goat had noticed us but seemed unsure of what we were. I dropped the primer in as he turned and I was presented with a lovely butt shot.

He looked at us, looked down the cliff, and then took a couple of steps which put him broadside to me. More smoke and noise and our second goat took two hops and collapsed in a steep chute.

We shinnied along the wall to where he had been bedded earlier, dropped our packs, swatted a few bugs, and I went over to the chute to see how nasty a retrieval it was going to be. I quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn’t getting to him from the top and had to work my way around to the bottom of the bluff and get to him from below.

I huffed and puffed and clawed my way up the chute, thankful that two very stunted birch trees had decided to eek out an existence in the crevices on the way up. I got to the goat and told my wife that I was going to lift his head for a couple of quick photo’s. I said “be quick” as I was pretty sure he would start to slide as soon as I moved him.

I was right, and two photo’s later he sailed off into the abyss and crashed into the alders about 80 feet below. Amazingly he didn’t break any horns.

Getting down out of the chute was even more fun than getting up.

Although I wasn't successful in my endevour to take a mountain goat with my stick & string it was still an amazing week of hunting in some very beautiful country. Next year a billy gets a yard of bamboo. :)

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 am

Amazing country, but i reckon one slip and you'd end up in the next world at lightning speed. Great stuff.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Bill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 am

Well Tuffcity (RC) even if you didn't use the stick to fling a stick, you have presented a great story along with some very fantastic pictures. This has been has been a very enjoyable read :) I loved the way you presented the story and I do hope you both are able to cherish and value the time together. 8) So congratulations and good luck next time, regards.......Bill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks once again RC for a great story and the great photos. It sure is magnificent country and it certainly would have been a great week for you all. Congrats to the both of you on the goats!!! To me they are a majestic animal and I think I have said it before (a few times probably :lol: ) they are the one animal I have always wanted to hunt. I know now that will never happen so I really enjoy seeing photos and reading stories with them as the subject. :D So glad you shared the trip with us - thanks!

Jeff

piggy

#12 Post by piggy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Mate thank you for sharing your adventure and the pictures of the amazing country.