Tuggeranong Archery Club - Canberra

This is the place to post the web address or contact details for such. This will not only assist those searching for information about your Bowhunting/Archery Association, Organization or Club but it would be very helpful for those travelling around our great country and who are looking for local clubs or events to attend.

Moderator: Moderators

buzz

Tuggeranong Archery Club - Canberra

#1 Post by buzz » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:23 pm

http://www.archeryact.asn.au/tac/

Tuggeranong Archery Club is located in the far south of Canberra. The grounds are at the very end of Erindale Drive just past the Hockey fields and enclosed stadium. It is affiliated with Archery Australia and Archery ACT and members from other clubs are welcome.

Beginners and general practice is available from 9.00am Sunday mornings and open practice is usually held on Thursday evenings in Daylight saving.

Complete beginners are welcome and all equipment is available, indeed, they will try and discourage complete newbies from buying equipment until the new person gets a better idea of what they are in for and what best suits their needs. There are a range of bows to suit kids of around 7 years right up to full sized adults. Coaching and assistance is provided. For new starters they prefer you get there before 9.30am so they can do eye dominance tests and get you kitted out with tabs, arm guards and a bow and still have plenty of time to shoot. They close the beginners line at 11am.

All form of archers are welcome and the range can accomodate a full 90m distance and clout shoots are also sometimes held. There are plans afoot to introduce a field course around the site as well.

Of possible interest to some people is the fact that the club hosts shoots for the ACT branch of the SCA (medievalists). They generally meet there at 10am on Sundays and will usually hold their costumed events on the first Sunday of each month.

Jason (DanceswithDingoes) put me on to this club a few years back and I have been going ever since,... and taking the son in tow.

Timmah

#2 Post by Timmah » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:08 pm

There are plans afoot to introduce a field course around the site as well.
Which opens today!! I might see you out there Buzz. :D

Timmah

#3 Post by Timmah » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Here are a few pics of the new course. It is fantastic!

If your in the ACT get down to tuggers and check it out!
Attachments
Looking down at the Murrumbidgee River.
Looking down at the Murrumbidgee River.
Scenery.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
A few wandering distractions...
A few wandering distractions...
Moo-Emitting-Target.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Doesnt look too bad.. but this was a very hard target. we lost a few arrows here. ~50 meters i believe.
Doesnt look too bad.. but this was a very hard target. we lost a few arrows here. ~50 meters i believe.
Hill-Target-(HARD!!).jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
And into the water... :-S
And into the water... :-S
Dam-Target.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Shoot over the water!
Shoot over the water!
Over-the-water.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Nice little corridor with over hanging branch for that extra bit of difficulty.
Nice little corridor with over hanging branch for that extra bit of difficulty.
Branch-Target.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Shooting off the top of a tall rocky outcrop down onto the target below! Brilliant!!
Shooting off the top of a tall rocky outcrop down onto the target below! Brilliant!!
Richard-Rock.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

buzz

#4 Post by buzz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Looks great.
Hope the 'roos didn't get in the way.

Timmah

#5 Post by Timmah » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:17 pm

is it just me or did the photos vanish?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:28 pm

I can see the photos ok.

What make of longbow is your mate shooting Timmah? I see he shoots the right way around also. :D

Jeff

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:46 pm

It's a nice looking field course alright. Plenty of room too. 8)

When's the big interclub traditional shoot?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Timmah

#8 Post by Timmah » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Jeff: I believe its a Howard Hill. He told me the poundage but i cant remember.. i think it was around the #50 mark.

Mick:
When's the big interclub traditional shoot?
I didnt even know about this?? Perhaps you could give me an update hehe.

Cheers,
Tim

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:57 pm

Thanks for that Tim.

Do they shoot any 3D rather than those circle targets? Also they seem to be looooooooong shots so I guess it is mainly target archery orientated and not hunting orientated? I love that shot from on top of the rocks!!! :D

Jeff

buzz

#10 Post by buzz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Jeff,
my understanding is that was the first open run through the course. They don't have any 3d targets... or at least not that I've tripped over yet, but there are a hell of a lot of 'roos on the grounds!

jindydiver

#11 Post by jindydiver » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:40 am

:shock:
I am wondering where the arrow goes if you miss? Seeing as this range is right by a very busy walking trail I would have though safety would be uppermost in the clubs mind.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Timmah

#12 Post by Timmah » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Mick this is the view from the top of that hill around 50m passed the target. Nothing but bush and the Murrumbidgee River. The river looks much closer in the photo then it is. They also have flags that they post around just in case. There is an old trail behind that target that is very rarely used only by the farmer and his truck.
Attachments
Scenery2.jpg
Scenery2.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 7230 times