Visiting Oz March& April 2015

This is the place to post the web address or contact details for such. This will not only assist those searching for information about your Bowhunting/Archery Association, Organization or Club but it would be very helpful for those travelling around our great country and who are looking for local clubs or events to attend.

Moderator: Moderators

mbf001

Visiting Oz March& April 2015

#1 Post by mbf001 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:42 am

I'll be visiting Victoria and South Australia in March and April 2015.
Travelling around a fair bit in the open countryside - route not fixed yet.

QUESTIONS

Would appreciate any info you kind souls would give on hunting, particularly bow-hunting :?:

Got conflicting messages re carrying a knife. It looks like I can't get one of my decent heavy belt knives into the country so in desperation I've bought a wee one especially for the trip. It's a Lansky-Willumsen "World Legal" folder with a 2.75 inch blade NOT a lock knife and NOT one-handed opening. Supposedly it's OK to bring it into Australia as a pen-knife but I can't be sure. Trouble is that it's not much good for heavy work as a bush knife. I emailed Australian Customs and Immigration but they were very non-commital. Any solid advice will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Mike - a not so hairy Scotman with a wee pen-knife

Mick Smith

Re: Visiting Oz March& April 2015

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:58 am

Victoria is a good state for the visiting hunter. We are one of the few, if not the only state that allows hunting in state forests and some national parks. There is no need to book and you can hunt at any time. If you intend to hunt deer, you must have a hunting licence http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/licensing/app ... n-resident .

The best places to try your luck would be the forests of north eastern Victoria. The main deer species you would possibly encounter would be sambar deer. These are a big tough species of deer that legally require a bow with a draw weight of over 50lbs to be used.

Buy yourself some good contour maps of very remote areas and try your luck. The deer are quite widespread, but they do get a pounding from dog hunters in some areas, but not in the national parks, as they're not permitted to hunt in national parks. You are permitted to hunt in some national parks, so that's a good place to start perhaps.

Maybe you could buy yourself a decent knife, here in Australia and then you could take it back home with you when you go.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

mbf001

#3 Post by mbf001 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:45 am

Mick Smith wrote:Victoria is a good state for the visiting hunter. We are one of the few, if not the only state that allows hunting in state forests and some national parks. There is no need to book and you can hunt at any time. If you intend to hunt deer, you must have a hunting licence http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/licensing/app ... n-resident .

The best places to try your luck would be the forests of north eastern Victoria. The main deer species you would possibly encounter would be sambar deer. These are a big tough species of deer that legally require a bow with a draw weight of over 50lbs to be used.

Buy yourself some good contour maps of very remote areas and try your luck. The deer are quite widespread, but they do get a pounding from dog hunters in some areas, but not in the national parks, as they're not permitted to hunt in national parks. You are permitted to hunt in some national parks, so that's a good place to start perhaps.

Maybe you could buy yourself a decent knife, here in Australia and then you could take it back home with you when you go.

mbf001

#4 Post by mbf001 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice Mick.

I'd feel naked without my knife in remote areas. What's the legality of carrying one when stopped by the Cops. I heard various stories about them coming down hard on folk who are just carrying them for practical, non-violent outdoors pursuits. The law seems to be a bit fuzzy on the issue and that leaves it wide open to being misunderstood and/or wrongly applied.

I note your advice re maps for hunting in the remote areas. Would you point out a couple and where I can obtain the maps? I've searched many websites that are so non-specific that it's making my head spin.

Cheers
Mike

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:51 pm

First of all, I'm no legal expert, so it might pay to get some info directly from Victoria Police regarding their policies regarding the carrying of knives, etc.

As far as I know, the onus is on you if you're carrying something like a knife or a bow, to satisfactorily explain to the policeman as to why you are carrying such a thing. The way I take it, if you have all the other gear needed for a hunting expedition and you're on the journey or you have arrived at your destination, then you will be fine. If you're wandering around in a shopping centre, wearing a sheath knife, then expect the authorities to take a dim view of it.

Finding good maps isn't as easy as it used to be. Most maps can be bought on-line and downloaded directly into your computer. I can't recommend any good sources, as I haven't done it. Usually you will be able to buy good contour maps at rural newsagents. That's where I get mine usually. In this day of GPS, maps are becoming yesterday's tools, but I still like to have them. I own a GPS, but I wouldn't go bush without a good map and a compass as a backup. The Australian bush can be a dangerous place. It's easy to get lost and help can be many miles away.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:11 pm

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/where-to-hunt

Give this site a try. In my experience they're good helpful people. They have some maps, but they're not of a quality that you would use for navigating in the bush. They might by helpful for finding general locations though. Google Maps is also a very helpful aid.

dan76

#7 Post by dan76 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Correct me if I,m wrong anyone but as far as I'm aware you cannot carry a knife on you in public for any reason at all other than work related (eg I'm a butcher and I can carry my knives to and from work, but it is illegal for me to still wear my knives if I go over to the shop to buy some milk or something, I must remove them and I can't just drive around with them in the car either. ) So if you want to carry a knife then leave it till your out bush, bear in mind though If you go bush walking in a national park and someone sees you carrying a knife around they are within there rights to make a complaint against you. So even if you have a tiny little fruit knife in your pocket and you pull it out in public to open an orange someone can call the cops and you can be charged with going armed to cause fear or something like that i think it is. So just bear that in mind.

Dan

Anyone feel free to correct me if you know any different, this is just what have had drummed into me about my knives with work and that.

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 pm

What has this world come to,run by pussies that have no idea about the real world,i'm 60 this year and i remember my dad shooting a pig then sending me out to cut the snout and tail off with a big knife for the bounty ,i was 7 yrs old then and thought nothing of it ,does anyone have a spare time machine so i can go back to reality

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 am

Mike,

If you are bringing timber arrows with feathers be sure to mark the relevant boxes on the customs declaration form. I put a notation beside the boxes stating that they are professional target/hunting arrows.

Customs are on the lookout for the bug infected wood and feather type native artefact goods.

As a rule I got through customs inspection quickly because I was ushered to a separate queue where there were only a few people.

If you can, pack the arrows where they are easily accessible.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....