My fletch jig

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

My fletch jig

#1 Post by stringnstik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 am

for those that are interested a picture speaks a thousand words.
Its pretty much based on the "big jig". Nothing new under the sun here except maybe the knob that holds the nock and displays the position.

I had a volume knob in the bits box. Drilled out the centre to match the nock and filled the index slot so its a neat fit. I then drilled a whole at 90deg to it and shoved a piece of plastic. The nock "clicks" just nice into this. I printed out a series of 3 lines at 120deg. cut them out and laminated them so I now have a see thru disc with 3 lines on it. I glued this to the knob. I printed a similar disc with extra lines (so I can do fluflu extra feather fletching) and glued that to the upright on the jig.

basicaly you twirl the knob till the lines match up, glue and then twirl again. At first I used a hair tie to give it some friction and hold it in place while gluing. But I now simply squish a piece of vinyl tubing and push it into the arrow shaft slot until its tight.

The jig is really just two uprights glued into a rebated bottom. I slotted the uprights down to the shaft hole with a thin slot that matched the thickness of my feather vise plate. this vise is made of two plates. One is longer by 5mm each end and thus slides into the slots. The other just fits between the uprights. This keeps all the feather positioning and location accurate.

I cut the horizontal shaft slots to allow the arrow. You can see they are at opposites. This was so the hair band tension would pull both ends into the wood. Its not necessary, vinyl tubing pushed into these slots and up against the shaft is far quicker.

Fletches applied with modellers ZAP glue, cause thats what I had. Out of all the arrows shot over this w/e , busted and shoved thru carpet and such. Not one lost a fletch ;)

Now keep in mind this was knocked up with a week to go b4 the lb100 and with what was in the shed in a lazy 2 hours. I made 20 or so arrows on this jig and just in time too ;)
Attachments
The nock knob shown with its 3 lines aligned.
The nock knob shown with its 3 lines aligned.
100_2526.jpg (14.7 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
a good view of the clamp slot and shaft slot. Nock end. cock feather applied and rotated.
a good view of the clamp slot and shaft slot. Nock end. cock feather applied and rotated.
100_2529.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
Clamping the feather. Push and hold for 20 secs-45 secs.
Clamping the feather. Push and hold for 20 secs-45 secs.
100_2528.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
Some of de arrows.
Some of de arrows.
100_2524.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
Two aluminium plates aligned in parallel and glued together onto a peg or  clip.(Im now using a bulldog clip). This feather vise holds the feather in position and slides into the upright slots.
Two aluminium plates aligned in parallel and glued together onto a peg or clip.(Im now using a bulldog clip). This feather vise holds the feather in position and slides into the upright slots.
100_2528.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Trad Bound

Re: My fletch jig

#2 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:44 am

Who has been a busy boy then? The bug has got you hasn't it?
Next to bows for the kids? stringnstik family website? The new photos, your partner with her own username. You guys need to start to sing and be the VonTraps of archery. More the point how did you go with the Karaoke. It was really good to catch up with you all on the weekend and that little quiet daughter of yours :lol: boy she can stand up for herself. Well done.
Cheers TonyJ

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 am

Good Morning
stringnstik wrote:for those that are interested a picture speaks a thousand words.
Its pretty much based on the "big jig". Nothing new under the sun here except maybe the knob that holds the nock and displays the position.

Fletches applied with modellers ZAP glue, cause thats what I had. Out of all the arrows shot over this w/e , busted and shoved thru carpet and such. Not one lost a fletch ;)
Excellent piece of kit. :D

There was a lot of talk about building jig on this forum a few years and the "Gig Jig" design did get some discussion,

Zap - Hot Stuff. Just another "Super Glue" and works great. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

stringnstik

#4 Post by stringnstik » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 am

Hah thanks TonyJ
as for website I used to have a twiki with all kinds of fixit and geeky like things but it got attacked late last year ..pre archery days..Im still trying to rebuild the server. But admit I have been largely sidetracked by this string and stick stuff ;)
As for my daughter, oo yeah, I dont think the sweet blue eyed blonde, masks the stubborn temper trait much at all :lol

I did really badger myself for not bringing that bow of Jamies that I made, for you all to see. Ill bring it next time and hopefully have a few beside it then,that arnt hinged.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

kerrille

#5 Post by kerrille » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 am

the bug has bitten good job .Oh mate my radios bust can you fix it :lol: :lol:

.....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont