My first self made arrow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Stephen Georgiou

My first self made arrow

#1 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 am

I would like to thank all of the fellows from ozbow at the LB100 who took the time to show me a few things about making stuff. I would especially like to thank Steve Murray who showed me how to make my own arrows. This morning I attempted my first arrow. It took me a total of 1 hour to make it. The time included selecting the timber. (douglas fir). The arrow spined out to 550. total weight on 440 grains. I used my arrow wraps that I had made and a single full feather hand wrapped with bohning fletching tape and 480 super glue for the tip.
I will keep you informed as I progress..
no1 arrow-1.jpg
no1 arrow-1.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
no1 arrow-2.jpg
no1 arrow-2.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

stringnstik

Re: My first self made arrow

#2 Post by stringnstik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Nice lookin arrow Stephen. I must try one fletched like that.

Wasnt it great to catch up with some of these wise old owls and gleam experience and thoughts out of them. I hope our eagerness to listen was as much a thrill for them as it was for us to learn.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Stephen Georgiou

#3 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm

I was walking around in awe of some of these fellows..
I had the pleasure to shoot with Tony Endersley, spent time with Steve Murray, Nev and his sons Tristan and Liam. All fabulous people. I also met a lot of interstate people too many to mention but I must say that I did not want this weekend to end.

kerrille

#4 Post by kerrille » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

thanks for the kind words mate, I'll make sure steve gets to read them i think at these things we all learn something .

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

hue

#5 Post by hue » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm

nice job on the arrow Steph.
like your avatar!
and you were talking about Nev. weren't you? you got the right bloke?Kerille was talking about getting him banned:)
I can only be who I am

Stephen Georgiou

#6 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 am

Yes it was nev not that kerrile fellow
Hue we can keep the secret that I actually missed the target with that shot...
By the way thanks for the photos. The only problem is that the bloke shooting the arrows was a little bit fatter than me..

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 pm

nice job how does it fly..................Rod

Stephen Georgiou

#8 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Out of my 50lb longbow it appears over spined. tends to fish tale a little. I will put proper feathers on it and see how it goes. Just working on a better way of planing the shafts down. At the moment it is done by hand and in the melbourne heat it makes it a hard job. When I find a good way to get the shafts round I will post the method on ozbow. I must say that the douglas fir seems pretty tough. The timber is out of a demolition I did 10 years ago and the lumber has been in the open since then so it is well weathered. Most of the timber is as straight as the day it was put there. It is 90 x 45 studs from an office demolition I get about 10 shafts per piece and I have around 200 pieces. So if this stuff works I'll have enough shafts to last me a fair while.