take down sleeves

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

take down sleeves

#1 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Hello all

I know these can be purchased, however has anyone had any experience in making these up? I've just been around the local steel merchants looking for steel piping that will "telescope" and drew a blank. Any ideas?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Glenn

Re: take down sleeves

#2 Post by Glenn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Looseplucker, you can use galv. water pipe that has been threaded, so instead of the sleeve slipping together you can just screw the two halves together, works real good...Glenn...

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi John,

There is a comprehensive article in the 'Primitive Archer' [Summer 2003 edition] regarding home made sleeves for takedown selfbows.

If you can't obtain a copy send an email and I will organize something for you.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:17 am

Glenn - that is a brilliant suggestion -- reading your post I had a real "doh" moment :roll: - certainly worth a try.

Daryl - I have tried to get a copy of that article, but have not been successful - I'll pm you my email address :D

Incidentally, I do have a length of 31.8 (OD) steel pipe - the ID is 30.6mm. I then got some pipe with an OD of 32mm or so, but with an ID of 28mm. I have rigged up a small lathe arrangement (electric drill in vice etc) and am seeing if I can grind down the latter piece so it will fit in the other, and then I intend to flatten the sides a little. Interesting to see if it works.

Glenn

#5 Post by Glenn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 am

Someone gave a copy of an ald book printed back in the 40's, it it they had a take down sleve where one slid in the other, it was round to start with and then they made it oval by placing it in the vise...Glenn...

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 am

Glenn

There is a method like that available on the web -

http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery/hunting-bow.html

The difficulty is getting hold of pipe that sleeves together as when visiting a steel merchant unless you are in the market for long lengths of pipe or tubing, you get what you can cop from the offcuts shelves.

Glenn

#7 Post by Glenn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

What about going to an exhuast shot that could flare one end out and customise it for you, I wouldn't imagine it would take long for them to do one for you. I'm am sure they could sleeve one in halfway to act as a stop for the other section. I wonder if the exhaust stainless would be heavy enough and have thick enough walls, it should be...Glenn...
Last edited by Glenn on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi John,

The information has been sent.

Although it is a single fitting it works well if you work to as fine as possible tolerances. I am using a similar system [with a squeezed] tube on a 43# bamboo back and belly semi recurve without any problems. When the bow is braced everything locks tight.

For a two piece sleeve you need to source the materials from different suppliers, a steel merchant for the outer sleeve and a plumbers supplier/merchant for a brass inner sleeve. A scrap metal dealer may be able to supply both in small quantities.

I believe that there is some funny legislation around to prevent people sleeving pipe made from the same material [second hand information].

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 am

Glenn - its a moveable feast - but how thick do the walls have to be - we're talking a 2" length for the female part - if the male sleeve is a good fit I would have thought with the proper handle materials of stout timber there would be enough mass to prevent warpage/bending. Still and all I am not volunteering to be the crash test dummy.

I just received some material from Greybeard which looks very much the goods as a single sleeve design. I also saw on Primitive Archer site a method of a one piece sleeve made from fibreglass where you cut diagonally across the handle and work it from there.

Thanks for the information Greybeard - as I have 1m of 31.8mm diameter (1.2mm wall) steel pipe I have enough to experiment.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi John,

I replied to your email before reading your latest post.

If you can obtain thin walled steel tube, approx 1 to 1½ mm wall thickness and in a diameter suitable for the outer sleeve, you can fabricate an inner sleeve from the same tube. Cut a piece the same length as the outer sleeve and cut/grind [one cut] down its length. Squeeze the gap closed and test fit to the outer sleeve. Regrind/file until you get the required fit and weld the cut. When satisified cut the sleeve in half.

In addition commercial sleeves are supplied in a combination of stainless steel/brass or steel/brass. Perhaps different metals don't bind together if left assembled for lengthy periods.

If desired you can squeeze the sleeves to oval/flat sides.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

looseplucker

#11 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 am

Well, I don't have my sinew and hide glue yet so can't do anything on the osage bow - the mother in law is up for the weekend and aside from clearing out the gutters - looks like there's some fun to be had with some metal.

Cheers Daryl.

jape

#12 Post by jape » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 am

mother-in-law and metal ... hmmm, heavy chains, local lake?
Mine was Italian and used to spit and make the sign of the devil when she saw me, no idea why ...

looseplucker

#13 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Mine arrives tomorrow on the evening broomstick

clinglish

#14 Post by clinglish » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 am

mine was here this evening , with the ugly sister and her frankenstein fiance in tow
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"