Recomendations

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinglish

Recomendations

#1 Post by clinglish » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:33 pm

I am planning to have my bows refinished and some minor mods done at the same time.
Has anyone had a bow refinished , if so by whom and would you rekomend them. I was gonna send them back to the states
but with the exchange rate I could buy a new bow cheaper.
cheers
clint
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

longbow steve

Re: Recomendations

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm

What is it finished with at the moment Clint? Tru oil gives good results if you want to tackle it yourself, as for spray finishes I recomend you get it done by someone who is skilled at using a gun. Steve

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:21 pm

Clint, it's not very hard to refinish a bow yourself. Do a search on this site and you will find a couple of threads (probably more) that deal with the subject.

I've refinished about 6 bows over the years. The first one I did was an old Bear Kodiak Magnum and it looked better after the refinishing job than any other Bear bow I've seen, even new ones. There's a thread somewhere on Ozbow showing how I did it.

The beauty of doing it yourself is, not only do you get that smug feeling of having done something yourself, but you know, that regardless of all those little minor bumps and scratches that are a part of life when hunting, you will be able to keep your favourite bow looking like new.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

clinglish

#4 Post by clinglish » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:43 pm

thanks for the responses guys. 2 of the bows are straight forward and I would probably give it a go myself.the others however need a few pounds shaved off as well. I have also bought a new riser for my horne combo and it will need to be matched to the limbs that I already have. these things I am not yet confident enough to tackle on my lonesome.
Cheer's
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"