restaining a bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

flyne

restaining a bow

#1 Post by flyne » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:52 am

any body ever done it im looking at buying a Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum 48" but the couler sceam look's like ****
Flyne
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Mick Smith

Re: restaining a bow

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:05 am

It doesn't look like anyone want to answer this one for you Flyne. I reckon you will find that the timbers on that Cascade aren't stained at the moment. They're probably just coated in a clear finish. It's fairly rare to find a bow that has been actually stained, but having said that, my Mohawk longbow has stained red elm limb laminations.

Of course, you could strip back the clear finish and apply a stain of your choice to the bow. You would have to select one stain and entirely cover the bow with that stain. It could work, particularly if you chose a fairly dark stain. It would darken all the various timbers to some degree.

In my opinion, it would probably be best to just leave it alone, especially if its in good shape to begin with. It would be a big job to strip back an entire bow and then stain it and then refinish it. If it looks that terrible, I'd be inclined to pass it up and look for another bow. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:09 pm

Is the bow the one on Tradgang owned by Granpa,if it is,it looks like the riser is made from actionwood which is stained laminates.There will also be some of that wood on the front of the limbs where the bolts are.
Cheers
Matt

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Yeah, I just had a look at it on Tradgang. It's not my idea of a good looking bow either. :?

I don't think there's much you could do to make it look any prettier either, short of painting the whole thing in camo.

It probably shoots good though.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

flyne

#5 Post by flyne » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:38 pm

that's the one but i think if i was to rub it back and put a black stain into it that it would look ok you still would be abel to make out the laminatins just some would be darker then the other's but then agen it's going to be for hunting in the thick stuff and it will end up getting scrached up a fair bit any way so i might as well just leave it.
on a diff note how do you work out the exchange rate it's going to be $350us posted wot's that ruffley in aus$
Flyne

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:18 pm

It worked out that $350 US dollars converts to $522 Australian using googles converter, but I got about twenty dollars more using the exchange rate in todays Herald Sun,hope that helps.Also just remember that if you are going to send a money order like I have done the post office,s exchange rate is always about five cents on the dollar behind the daily rate, so you will pay more.
Matt
Last edited by matt61 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyne

#7 Post by flyne » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:20 pm

thanks for that it's been doing my head in whea did you find the converta

matt61

#8 Post by matt61 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 pm

I went to Google and typed in ,Exchange rate on Australian dollar, Flyne