Bow woods

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nomad
Location: Live in The Rock (south of Wagga NSW) lived in Bourke NSW and Tumut NSW for most of my life.

Bow woods

#1 Post by Nomad » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:00 am

i am currently finishing the HSC at the moment and i do chemistry as one of my subjects. we had to visit this lab where they make all sorts of chemicals for industrial use. they have recently found a sort of glue that they plan to use in the paper industry to help the wood fibres in the paper mix, stick together. it apparently bonds all the fibres together to form long strands of wood fibres that mean paper can be stronger and thinner. so here is my question. would coating this stuff on self bows help by increasing flexability as well as allow a heap of new woods to be used due to their now high flex??? it was just a thought. i might be able to find out a little more about this if people want more info.

Jake
It would take a all eternity to learn all there is to know in this world. All we can do is share our knowledge and help others to understand that which we have worked hard to discover in the hope that they will not repeat our mistakes.

Len

Re: Bow woods

#2 Post by Len » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:18 am

Sounds interesting nomad, as you say it could be handy for coating the backs of self bows but not so much for increasing their flex but for safe guarding them if the timber is a little suspect or fibres have been cut or grain not quite right etc.
Hmmmmmmm.............

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bow woods

#3 Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Jake,

The first stage in papermaking is to reduce the wood chips [by various methods] to clean individual cellulose fibres. All tars, lignins etc have been removed. Depending on the timber type the individual fibres are in the vicinity of one to three mm in length and very thin, can't remember the micron.

I don't know if the process has changed much in the last fifteen years but it takes on average, 99 tons of water in the pulp mix to produce 1 ton of paper. Glue could be added to the mix before it gets to the headbox at the wet end of the paper making machine.

I can appreciate glue bonding the fibres in this application to make a stronger paper, but I doubt if would add durability to a self bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....