Trad Bound's "St Charles Quiver"

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Trad Bound

Trad Bound's "St Charles Quiver"

#1 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:34 pm

A few weeks ago I was looking for a design and there was a variety of responses. Graham rightly indentified it. From Woody who had given me a commercial model. It was his that I saw at Dunolly that inspired me to find a home grown model. Mike g and Pommy Chris who provided good standard heavy leather makers models. And then Pommy Chris with his cheepskate model( Scrounders model) . Mick Smith found an old Ozbow link to Kimalls work.

Well i've been tinkering away apart from making arrows I've been mulling over this idea.
Here it is tried it out today at Lilydale range. Happy to share what and how.
Went to Church ( Bunnings) and bought PVC pipe, capped one end and then cut a spherical opening with a jig saw ( small teeth blade, you were right Mick Smith) about 75 mm from the bottom.
I left it open at the top so I can access either way but I will make a wet weather model soon that will be covered with leather. Drilled two holes for para rope either end. Wrapped PVC in leather and hand sewn along seam line from top to bottom and around the capping. Cut leather through opening glued down to inside of tube, glued trim both to intern walls at spherical opening and at the top. Put white leather trim around opening ( to make pretty). Treaded para rope at both ends bought 1-2mts of 40mm webbing with two adjustable buckles to lenghten strap. Bought a piece of high density foam to place a bottom of quiver to deaden arrow points against PVC and I would think would handle broadheads well. As to indentifying your arrows for particular shoots number or band at the bottom of the shaft.

As a right eye sighted shooter the strap goes over my left shoulder and the opening to access the arrows is on my right hip. I can also use it like a back quiver by accessing the arrows from the top. Although personally my shoulder movements are limited so this bottom opening is ideal for me.
Those of you who have met me know I use a hip quiver but there are times where that is not the best particularily in the bush doing 3D. This new quiver is comfortable, quiet and the arrows don't get caught in the scrub. Whilst at Lilydale today it work really well for a test model and those who shot with me were very impressed with how it worked. I will keep you posted if I make some adaptations or MkII models. Once again thank you to those that helped.
Cheers TonyJ

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Trad Bound's "St Charles Quiver"

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Looks good Tony and I'm glad it works well for you.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Tony

Your new quiver looks as though it will do the job. :wink: I'd prefer one made entirely of thick leather, but it wouldn't be any more efficient.

I think we need a quiver that will offer some weather protection for our fletching, as it seems we always do a lot of shooting in real lousy weather conditions. It would be nice to know that you have a supply of nice, dry arrows stored away in your quiver. 8)

I'm keen to see it in action. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerrille

#4 Post by kerrille » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:53 pm

nice job tony ,unlike mick unless i go south i dont have a problem with cold and wet :D 28 yesterday 25 today ,bugger, the boss had me mowin and wippersnippen the weeds taday :shock: once again well done hope to see it at ballarat

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

matt_d

#5 Post by matt_d » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Nice job on the quiver Tony, it really looks the goods :wink:
I too have been toying with the idea of making something similar and I like the idea of only using thick leather as Mick suggests. One of the problems I've been trying to overcome with this idea (since it doesn't collapse and hold the arrows still as with a back quiver) is elminating arrow rattle inside the quiver, perhaps lining it with a fleece of some description. Only problem then is the possibility of the broadheads snagging on the inner lining, or even falling out as the quiver is bumped around. Hmmm :?
Thanks for sharing mate :)
Matt

Trad Bound

#6 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Guys
If you go to the American sites you can get a pattern for heavy leather but you do need to consider re-inforcing it as soon as you introduce an opening you weaken the structure. I did see someone with a design with two steel inserts on the those sites. I do like the heavy leather ones but I have access to good quality soft leather from a quality furniture manufacter and therefore I will continue to use it ( You can not take the Scrounger out of me).
As to dealing with arrow rattle, I have got dense foam on the bottom and trim at the top and at the side hole, therefore noise is decreased. If you are closing the top with a top cap noise will be lessened I thought about lambs skin at the top but as you can insert your arrows by pushing them through the side hole I was concern with the fletches catching on the lamb skin as you push the arrows up. Anyway they are the thoughts from MkI.
As to weather protection the weather has been dry here too Nev only place you would need a cap on it is Sunny Geelong or Dunolly.
Maybe I could make a water proof Geelong model now thats why I made it from PVC :roll:
Keep throw the ideas up happy to consider them. Cheers TonyJ

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 pm

If you cut some thick leather one or two inches wide say about 12 inches long and join them together back to back with rivets, creating a little pocket every 2 inches. You then roll it up like you do a belt. You insert a broadhead into each of the pockets. I use this method for my side quiver and it works really well. It never snags. The broadheads stay sharp because they do not rub against each other.

This can be used in a stiff, thick back quiver.
I like my back quivers with two straps and the quiver located behind my head.....reduces catching /snagging arrows as you go through bush.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

pommy chris

#8 Post by pommy chris » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 am

how do you mean scrounger :lol:
i used mine the last two weekends and they work well.a couple of guys at my club have made them using some thin rubber stuff that came from a formula 1 car test bed from silverstone.dont ask :lol: as one of them has a mate down there.they give good alround protection.i thought mine would be noisy but its quiter than my side quiver while walking just a bit of noise while selecting a arrow but i can soon rectify that with some lining. although it does not make a deal of difference to me as we cant hunt with the bow :( i would like to have another go when i can get hold of some belt grade leather though.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Trad Bound

#9 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:57 am

Pommy Chris Ah a man of similar thoughts as me. :mrgreen:
Just last night I was thinking of the next one or shall I make a cap to put over the arrows on this one. I even thought of calling the cap "the Geelong" or the "Mick Smith" just to honor the man with the best archery hat collection. :wink:
TonyJ

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 am

for mine it is simply easier to carry very large ziplock bags or a disposable elasticised showercap from a hotel.
Keeps the arow flights dry in bad weather.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

pommy chris

#11 Post by pommy chris » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 am

trad. i will always stick with me dads sayings.
"we can make owt from nowt" and "were short of nowt we aint got"
were still pulling bits of steel and other stuff out from under the bench in the garage that he had from the pit fourty years ago :lol:
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.