File Sheath

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

File Sheath

#1 Post by gundy » Tue May 01, 2007 12:04 am

I have had some good leather and some tools for a while now and have only just started to play around with them.

I purchased a good Bhaco second cut file and made a handle out of a cast fallow antler I found last year, then using the tools, made a leather sheath to hang from my back quiver.

All hand sown (hand stitch). Will look at making one for my knives I made when they are back from heat treat.

I had a 'dingo paw (wolf paw) stamp handy which I will make as the logo.

Good fun!
Attachments
sheath 002.jpg
sheath 002.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
sheath 003.jpg
sheath 003.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 3895 times

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Tue May 01, 2007 6:40 am

Pretty neat SEWING there Gundy :wink: Thats what usually lets a lot of peoples work down , is messy sewing .

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Nice work mate!!!

Jeff

gundy

#4 Post by gundy » Tue May 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks gents.

I marked a recessed groove around the edge and then used a stitch marking tool coach, which gives you marks to awl the holes to. Then glued and hand stitched. Couple of brass rivets, a wet mold and away silver!

Shadow

#5 Post by Shadow » Tue May 01, 2007 8:33 pm

I just use my drill press and a 2mm drill bit for making holes (after using a stitching groover and stitch wheel to mark the places to drill), But then I'm usually working at thicker (layered) leathers for knife sheathes, sometimes up to about 10mm. Hand awling is difficult then to say the least.
Nice job by the way, looks great!

Hood

#6 Post by Hood » Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Sweet job Gundy.
thats one way to make a file look more trad :lol:
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

gundy

#7 Post by gundy » Tue May 01, 2007 8:54 pm

I have a drill press. 2mm you say? I will try that...my hands still hurt.

Crowcreek2

Re: Handy Work

#8 Post by Crowcreek2 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Very nice mate, will be looking out for it this weekend!!

Phill

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Tue May 01, 2007 10:14 pm

Crow, just been finishing up some arra's....

I have lots to show n tell!!!!!!!

bring on the Sambar!

jindydiver

#10 Post by jindydiver » Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 am

I use a drill press as well. Just remember to turn up the speed a fair bit so it doesn't grab and twist your work while it drills. And the groove first is important to keep the drill bit nice and straight and stop a wandering stich hole :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Shadow

#11 Post by Shadow » Wed May 02, 2007 7:22 pm

gundy wrote:I have a drill press. 2mm you say? I will try that...my hands still hurt.
I found that a 2mm drill hole was the best size when using a 'Saddle Stitch' although it is a little harder to get the needles through on the second run (I always double stitch my work). 1mm is too small and 3mm holes are too close together using my stitching wheel as my guide. Yours might be a larger rowl though, in which case 3mm might be ideal, too big a hole though, will look like shite on the finished job, so try it on some scrap first. I also use a pair of pliers (Leatherman...Never leave home without it!) to pull the needles through on the second run. Small needles with large eyelets are easier to get through but I broke my last one by not pulling it through on a straight line.

Anyway I hope all this is a little help for the next job on your list.

Mick

TomW

#12 Post by TomW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:57 am

I'm not really in a position to offer advice to good leather craftsmen but I assume when you are handstitching with an awl, that you have wet and softened the leather first?

My grandfather used to do a lot of handstitching in leather and that is what he used to do, and he always ended up with a neat job and hands not too tired.

Hope this helps :D
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.