What is the suitability of Australian species for self-bows?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nicholas George

What is the suitability of Australian species for self-bows?

#1 Post by Nicholas George » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:45 pm

Hi all,

Here is a recent research paper that explores the suitability of different Australian species for self-bows:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 24-09598-x

I was anxious about posting it here because I know people have strong feelings about this topic, and the paper uses information from people on this forum. The work comes from a place of utmost respect. No one is directly identified and the paper is not critical of peoples views on the topic. OzBow and its contributors are thanked in the acknowledgments.

The study uses commonly available mechanical properties for global wood species and looks at how species known to be good for bows cluster in a principal components analyses, and then looks at where Australian species fall relative to these clusters. No assumptions are made regarding the importance of mechanical wood properties for self-bows.

The analysis finds that most Australian species for which data is available appear to have combinations of physical and mechanical properties that make them sub-optimal for unbacked self-bows. Whilst it is possible to make self-bows from Australian woods, it requires careful design choices suitable for high-density and tension-weak woods. This makes bow-building with Australian species challenging, particularly without metal tools. In comparison, common woods from other regions have properties that make them more forgiving in terms of bow design. This agrees with the hands-on experience of many Australian bowyers, including myself, and could explain the historical absence of bow-and-arrow technology in Australia.

The language in the paper is measured, and the limits of the analyses are clearly stated in the conclusions. The research is meant to be the start of a more formal conversation about the suitability of Australian woods for self-bows, not the end of it. The research shows we need more quantitative information for more Australian wood species as well as more practical applied studies by bowyers that examine Australian species for self-bows. In other words, it's an excuse to do more bow-making!

Any way, I hope people find it informative!

Cheers

Nic

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What is the suitability of Australian species for self-bows?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:56 am

Interesting article; thanks for posting it up here.

Jeff