Indigenous Australian bowyers?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nicholas George

Indigenous Australian bowyers?

#1 Post by Nicholas George » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:04 pm

Is anyone aware of any Indigenous Australian bowyers? I am curious to know if there are any people out there who use their traditional knowledge of Australian woods to make self-bows from local species.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Indigenous Australian bowyers?

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:21 pm

Not exactly the answer you were looking for;

The following is an excerpt from the “Genesis of Queensland, an account of the first exploring journeys to and over the Darling Downs” by Henry Stuart Russell, an explorer detailing the early settlement and growth of the pastoral industry in Queensland.

“Here and there were groups lying about warming themselves after the night's deluge; here gins were drawing in wood, there others blowing up fires: spears were piled together like muskets on a march; laughing, jabbering, they seemed contented enough; but what specially attracted our surprised attention was a group of piccanninies using miniature bows and arrows. Jemmy was as much astonished as we; we had never had reason to suppose that natives had in anywise become acquainted with the use of such an implement, even as a child's toy; and often had we spoken thankfully of their ignorance of it as a weapon, in the use of which they would assuredly have become exceptionally expert.”
The area this is in, is approximately 4 hours West from Brisbane. So it can be said that Aboriginal people had knowledge of the Bow and Arrow and it’s uses. However it’s dependence and preferability is the most likely the main contributing factor for the scarce identification of Bow and Arrows in the Aboriginal inventory. The Woomera and Spear’s uses outweigh those of the latter when attempting to bring down larger game, as well the Woomera being able to be used as a daily tool. So it’s possible that Aboriginal people didn’t use it often because they didn’t see the benefits of it in comparison to the objects already being used.”
Toy Bow.jpg
Toy Bow.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Nicholas George

#3 Post by Nicholas George » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:59 pm

That's fascinating. I have conducted an extensive literature search and have not found any references to the use of locally made bow-and-arrows in Australia prior to European contact. There are references to bows being imported in from communities in the Torres Strait but that is it. Are you aware of any other references such as this?

I am familiar with the picture from the Australian Museum. That bow was made in the 1940s or so, I think. So it is well into the contact era.

Feral

#4 Post by Feral » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:09 pm

I worked as an archaeologist in Queensland many years ago. There was anecdotal evidence that the bow was known throughout different groups but it would seem the lack of a decent bow wood was the main reason it wasn't taken up.
So we will never really know. I'm sure someone may have fiddled with it but tradition was spears and no reason to change

Nicholas George

#5 Post by Nicholas George » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:28 pm

Can you point to any published sources? As I say above, I have done an extensive literature search and haven't found anything reliable that says bows were made on the Australian continent prior to the arrival of European.