Anyone tried a gasket dipped Massey finish?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

QuiveringInMyBoots

Anyone tried a gasket dipped Massey finish?

#1 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Tue May 03, 2022 5:06 pm

Hi all,

Trying to fight target burn before I make some footed arrows. I have used both oil and water poly and neither were good. My most recent arrows have a reverse capping of about 6 inches now of burned black smears from foam targets.

I see that people claim Massey Finish (cheap 5 minute epoxy thinned heavily with epoxy) eliminates target burn. However, people also say that it can be a pain to put on. I was wondering about a dip since it is so thin. That also got me wondering if it would work with a dip gasket?

Any thoughts or experience gratefully welcomed!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anyone tried a gasket dipped Massey finish?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 03, 2022 6:53 pm

I've never tried that so can't help with regards to using it. With 3Ds I have just used a silicon spray and give the arrows a wipe on the tip end after every couple of targets. It stops the target burn to large degree.

Jeff

QuiveringInMyBoots

#3 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Tue May 03, 2022 9:31 pm

Maybe the poly I used is worse than normal, but I used a silicon target release (AAE I think?) and I got terrible burn on my first shot. :(

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 04, 2022 5:45 pm

After doing my cap and cresting I just use a clear varnish and wipe on the full length of the arrow with a piece of rag. The varnish I have used was not water based. I hope you get it sorted so your footings keep on looking good. :D

Jeff

QuiveringInMyBoots

#5 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Wed May 04, 2022 7:14 pm

My old arrows were water based poly. My new ones were first dyed bright red; doing more field and I wanted something more findable when I miss! Unfortunately the dye came right through the water based poly and cresting. Therefore I used an oil based spray for creating and then an oil based poly spray to avoid abrading the surface too much. I don’t think it was up to it. :(

Never mind, I like making stuff.

I’ll post a picture of my footings when I get them done. :)

alaninoz

#6 Post by alaninoz » Wed May 04, 2022 7:31 pm

Don't know about using a dip ghasket, but you've got to be quick using Massey finish. I wiped it on and only got one wipe in one direction before it got tacky.
Alan

QuiveringInMyBoots

#7 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Wed May 04, 2022 9:50 pm

Yeah, I searched the net pretty extensively and I couldn’t see reference to it. But it seems like it might work? Even if the “gasket” was a soaked cloth? Just have to move fast.

I might be better off learning to walk before I run though!