Choosing a board to make arrows?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

QuiveringInMyBoots

Choosing a board to make arrows?

#1 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:07 pm

:Bow

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I’ve been here (and since lost access to my old email address and needed to re-register.

My login (created by my wife) is inspired by teaching my kids to shoot. :)

Anyway, I’m getting a little more serious about accuracy and I want to make some shafts from scratch. I’ve made a router jig to turn them beautifully, but I tested some Tas Oak 5/16ths last night and they were 71 lbs spine. Ouch.

How do you pick a board for making shafts?

Can you weaken a shaft (other than sanding it down too far to fit the hardware (points).

Cheers
Cam

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Choosing a board to make arrows?

#2 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:11 am

Hi QIMB,

Perhaps you could try to source some of the following timber. You may have to check out wooden boat builders and I believe picture frame manufacturers also use straight grained knot free Huon pine.

Daryl.

https://www.wood-database.com/huon-pine/

https://www.wood-database.com/douglas-fir/
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

QuiveringInMyBoots

#3 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 pm

Thanks Greybeard. I have some celery top pine which is meant to be good. (I haven’t tried it yet). I have a bit of Huon pine too (useful living in Tassie). But I don’t know if a heavier board typically makes a stiffer arrow or not. Is there any way to choose which board (as opposed to which species). Maybe it is just trial and error?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:30 pm

G'day Cam,

I have always made my own shafts from Oregon Pine. You can usually pick up used boards from old buildings etc. In relation to what boards make what spine it is hit and miss. :lol: Usually a heavier board with nice tight grain will make higher spined shafts BUT not always. The diameter you choose to make them also makes a big difference. Testing some boards is really all you can do. All the best with them and let us know how you go.

Jeff

QuiveringInMyBoots

#5 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:31 pm

Bugger. I was hoping you weren’t going to say that! The jig I made is designed for 5/16. If I find that the celery top is too weak, I’ll need to find a new wood or make a new jig. :)

I was hoping for the toughness of “ash” - I’ve used Bunnings dowels before with ok success, but looking to do better. For starters, I’m trying to shoot straight rather than around corners like some of the dowels you find!

Thanks for the response. Looks like I have more experimenting to do.

Cheers
Cam

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi Cam,

Are you making arrows for particular style of bow at a given draw weight and draw length or just experimenting?

If you are not familiar with the AMO details for arrows check pages six and seven in the attached PDF.
AMOStandards.pdf
(125.52 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
The information is most likely based on Port Orford cedar.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

QuiveringInMyBoots

#7 Post by QuiveringInMyBoots » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:52 pm

Yeah. I have made a deflex reflex longbow from carbon and fibreglass (all from raw materials, not pre-made lams). It is around 50 pounds at 28”.

My draw length is more like 27”.

That is why the 70 pound rating for the first 5/16 Tas oak shafts was way beyond what I could use.

However, I have found hardwood dowels at 50 pounds before, so I was wondering how to pick the board. I suspect that weight might be the go. :)