Playing Around.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Playing Around.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 am

I made a new form to make a bow similar to an Egyptian style bow but I think I went a bit off track.

Although the final product is not what I envisaged it appears to perform well.

The shaped handle and static tips were glued to the bamboo core and allowed to cure before bringing the laminations together and locking up in the form.
1 Form.jpg
1 Form.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
2 Laminations.jpg
2 Laminations.jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
3 Bow in form.jpg
3 Bow in form.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
4 Bow And Form.jpg
4 Bow And Form.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
The static tips need narrowing on the belly to allow the string loops to move more freely.
A temporary string made from recycling an old string indicated that the bow may need string bridges. I will wait until I have a new string before I decide.

You may notice that the bow is a little asymmetric, right hand limb in the image.
After loosing several arrows the bow felt very tame in the hand which would indicate that the limb timing was not affected.
5 On The Tiller.jpg
5 On The Tiller.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Working out the core thickness for a given draw weight was hit and miss and using the limb thickness of .214” from my 38# recurve resulted in a final draw weight of 32#. This result establishes a base line for me to work from.
6 Almost Finished.jpg
6 Almost Finished.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
N to N is 58” with a total working limb of 31 inches.

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Playing Around.

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:13 pm

I finally finished the bow a couple of weeks ago and all going well it will have a new home.

Daryl.
New.jpg
New.jpg (162.36 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Tip.jpg
Tip.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:38 am

Interesting design. Those thick tips would rob a bit of performance I guess.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:36 pm

Jeff,

They are probably a bit slow in lighter draw weights and would need to be in the 50# plus to get better performance. Tip mass would be similar to that of a 30# bow.

I found a video of a similar style bow; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_1bH2gezX4

Best performance I could get out of 31# was 157 fps shooting woods at 11.6 grains per pound. Average speed was around 142 fps which probably was a result of inconsistent form.

The bow was made for the re enactor group.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

yeoman

#5 Post by yeoman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:01 pm

Looks great Daryl.

A bit of a pastiche of Turkish bows in it.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials