Bamboo backed Osage

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

warild_make

Bamboo backed Osage

#1 Post by warild_make » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:53 pm

bambooOsage.jpg
bambooOsage.jpg (109.21 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
spent a couple hours today tillering my first Bow.

66" Bamboo Backed Osage
40# (approx) @28
Although I built in some reflex it did take on some string follow

Need to finish up the aesthetics, handle was only roughed in, going for a Howard Hill style grip. Not sure if I'll add tip overlays.

Also waiting on my spool of string material so I can make up a Flemish twist and finally shoot the thing!

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bamboo backed Osage

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am

Hello warild make I'm no expert but that is a very interesting looking bow
Nice bend.
The details about it sound great.
Hope it brings you alot of enjoyment.
Cheers.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 am

That is looking good; I hope you get many hours of enjoyment shooting it. You'll have to show us some detail photos when you finish it.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:12 am

The tiller is nice and symmetrical, well done.
bambooOsage.jpg
bambooOsage.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
You will notice in the photo that the limb tip to string angle is almost 90 ̊. If the bow is drawn past this point the bow will start to go into stack.

Longer fadeouts may help de stress this area of the limbs. From watching YouTube bow making videos it would appear that the Americans like short fadeout areas.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

warild_make

#5 Post by warild_make » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 pm

I tillered well beyond the limits of my draw so I hope this wont be an issue.
I've since finished and shot the bow, can report that it shoots well, a little slow but I can group well with it.

I am considering knocking off a half inch each end to install tip overlays. Maybe pick up some speed?

I did have to do a wrap at the handle fades as the bow bends through these a little, which in-turn meant I was getting some delamination of the handle joint

I'm happy with how it turned out, even happier that it didnt explode when I shot it. I'll continue to work on it as I gather ideas for my next project

warild_make

#6 Post by warild_make » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 am

some photos of the near finished bow prior to shooting.
IMG_20210408_124728.jpg
IMG_20210408_124728.jpg (187.16 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
I added some wrap to the fades in an attempt at removing some lamination separation at the handle fades.
Am about to add some tip overlays which is something I wanted to do at the beginning abut I felt was a waste of time if the bow was going to explode when I shot it.

The Osage has pretty poor grain orientation so I didnt have high hopes that it would work out.
Attachments
IMG_20210408_124613.jpg
IMG_20210408_124613.jpg (225.33 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Good to see it is a shooter. I'm sure you will have learned a lot along the way. Enjoy your shooting.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Having a working bow is a good end result.

Even for longer term bowyers of non glass bows lessons are still learnt. Just about every new bow will throw up another challenge. Think of it as a life long apprenticeship.

With custom bows I tiller them to the archers actual draw length and required draw weight. For non glass bows I go about 5# over the desired weight to compensate for what will be lost during the shooting in period.

I disregard the 28” AMO as this was put into place as a constant for the commercial bow manufacturers.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....