Not My First Choice of Bow Woods…But

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Not My First Choice of Bow Woods…But

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Generally I would place Ironbark way down on my list of bow woods because of its physical / mechanical properties. Making a successful bow could be a bit of a challenge.

The debarked billet 8’ long and 3 ½” across the crown used for this project had been sitting in my storage rack for about five years and was harvested two to three years earlier.

Whilst working the billet I was surprised that there were no drying cracks.
01 Ironbark Billet_End Compilation.jpg
01 Ironbark Billet_End Compilation.jpg (61.19 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Because of the nature of this timber I believed that a flat bow offered the best chance of success and I went for a design similar to that of a flat bow found at Vedbaek in Denmark.

The differences in the properties of Danish elm and ironbark dictated that the limb cross section be quite a bit thinner.

The plan view of the bow is not perfectly symmetrical and some tooling marks remain. I was endeavouring to replicate a bow made with primitive tools some 6,000 years ago.
02 Limb Compilation.jpg
02 Limb Compilation.jpg (239.18 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
The finished bow is 70” n to n and draws 35# at 26” dlpp. This was the ball park weight that I was after as it suits the re-enactors.
03 Bow Compilation.jpg
03 Bow Compilation.jpg (77.87 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Presently the brace about 5 ¼” and has a Fastflite Flemish twist string. Two coats of hand rubbed carnauba and beeswax was applied to seal the timber.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Roadie

Re: Not My First Choice of Bow Woods…But

#2 Post by Roadie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Looking Good, is it a shooter and what are the specs. Cheers Roadie

Rhino1

#3 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 am

That's some sweet action mate, let us know how it fares with some use. What sort of draw weight is it
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:43 am

Rhino1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 am That's some sweet action mate, let us know how it fares with some use. What sort of draw weight is it
Roadie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:02 pm Looking Good, is it a shooter and what are the specs. Cheers Roadie
greybeard wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm The finished bow is 70” n to n and draws 35# at 26” dlpp. This was the ball park weight that I was after as it suits the re-enactors.
I placed some *'s between the text and images to make reading a little easier.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

flyonline

#5 Post by flyonline » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Nice one Daryl, that "primitive" look, both the finish and the shape is outstanding - though there's nothing primitive about them!

If I remember right, didn't Glenn Newell make similar bows from ironbark staves? I picked up a couple of boards to have a go with one day and it sure is heavy :lol:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm

I found this old image of bows made from Australian hardwoods.
Aus Hardwood  Bows.jpg
Aus Hardwood Bows.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
At that time both Glenn Newell and Alan Jones were making these styles of bows but I can’t remember who made these particular bows.

Keith Keddie was making similar bows and I think his main timber was red ash [Alphitonia excelsa].
flyonline wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:16 pm I picked up a couple of boards to have a go with one day and it sure is heavy
I sill have some ironbark from a billet that weighs in at 1,100 kg/cu/m.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

flyonline

#7 Post by flyonline » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:43 pm

That's the one I was thinking of, and I think there's another couple floating around on the interwebs (PA/paleoplanet?). Unfortunately I haven't been able to lay my hands on a stave of ironbark/spotted gum/stringybark yet to do a stave version, but I've laid out a board version which I plan on backing with linen at some stage. Them boards are heavy as you say! Haven't measured mine but they'd be up there somewhere I'd guess.