Backing materials.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Rhino1

Backing materials.

#1 Post by Rhino1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 pm

I've used imported/bought snakeskins before with a fair amount of success, just wondering what other materials Trad folk have used and how you have gone about attaching it.
Cheers
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Backing materials.

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:39 am

I have not used this as backing yet but it could be worth a try. If it works well it could be a low cost alternative.

Applying the backing starts at 9 mins 50 secs into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVCMsbF_OD0

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gyprock-eas ... e_p0731009
Drywall Fibreglass Tape.jpg
Drywall Fibreglass Tape.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Rhino1

#3 Post by Rhino1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:48 pm

Good on you Daryl thats thinking outside of the box.
What other things were primitive bows backed with
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

Rhino1

#4 Post by Rhino1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm

So I've found something that I think is definitely worth trying out and that's eel skin (poor man's snakeskin?)
Apparently it's 150 times stronger than cow leather of the same thickness, eels are easy to come by and legal, they seem to be the right shape= long, and I can dry it myself and use the the same process involved with backing dried snake skin traditionally. Apparently it has a fair amount of stretch in it too so Im planning to pull it tight as it sets.
Looks like there's a night of eel fishing coming up soon

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:40 am

The eel skin should work.

I searched the internet but could not find out how thick the skins actually were, the only reference was ‘thick’.

The thicker the backing is the more the limb mass increases. As a general rule most backings will increase the integrity of the back of the bow but will not increase the bows performance.

When backing board bows (not split staves) I prefer to use pole bamboo as it becomes a working part of the bow.

I believe pole bamboo is economical as I can get four, sometimes five backings out of a $30.00 pole.

Daryl.

Found this earlier post viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15577
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Rhino1

#6 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks again for your input Daryl, nah mate I'm not chasing performance but a more stable, longer lived self bow.
For some reason, I had in my head that it would be thin like snakeskin? Hopefully it's not overly thick as it would probably rob me of arrow speed.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:54 pm

If you catch some eels you could make your own glue from them.

http://www.kramers.org/glue.htm

Daryl.
[Ascham]