Tillering a laminated board bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Brooster

Tillering a laminated board bow

#1 Post by Brooster » Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Resized_20200516_161711_307649373308258.jpeg
Resized_20200516_161711_307649373308258.jpeg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Hi Folks, first time making a laminated board bow out of floor boards. Just trying to tiller it. Just wanted to know how close to the handle should I be taking timber off please? The limb on the left is the bottom limb. Also do you think I'm close to being able to put a string on it?
Cheers
Bruce

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Tillering a laminated board bow

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Comp 1.jpg
Comp 1.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Bruce,

I would be tempted to get the tips moving a little more; to me they look a bit stiff.

Handle to mid limb appears to be a bit flat. Perhaps start a few inches from the handle and slowly remove timber working towards mid limb.

Be careful not to create a hinge in the mid limb area. Remember the limbs can change curvature when the short string is used.

Personally I will not put a short string on a bow until I get the bows tips a bit past the desired brace height.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Brooster

#3 Post by Brooster » Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Awesome thanks for the tips.
Cheers Bruce

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Bruce,

Keep in mind that I made an assessment based on a small photographic image; the bow could look different in real life.

Hopefully someone else will post their thoughts on how they perceive the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....