DIY block target

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clear skies

DIY block target

#1 Post by clear skies » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi fellow archers,

I’ve made a 25x25x25 cm cardboard cube and covered it in a layer of packing tape to partially waterproof it.
But now I’m wondering, will the layer of packing tape (and the tape used inside the cube) be damaging for my carbon arrows?

Stephen

flyonline

Re: DIY block target

#2 Post by flyonline » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Stephen

I've noticed that the tape will leave a residue on the shaft, but I've never seen any damage. I do the same but just layer wine cartons (work in a winery) and then strap down with a couple of cheapo ratchet straps or pallet strapping, when it ends up getting chewed up I just toss the cardboard into the recycling or compost and start again. I've had plenty of straight cardboard sitting out in the rain for months - unless I was in really wet country I wouldn't bother but I do have access to limitless raw materials.

Don't forget the water will get in anyway, and the tape will stop it drying out quicker. Surely they don't weigh enough to worry about carrying in/out daily?

Steve

clear skies

Re: DIY block target

#3 Post by clear skies » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and method with me.
As for water getting in, I was just thinking of possibly wet grass every now and then as I can easily carry it about whenever I need to get some shooting practice. :Bow

Regards,
Stephen