TRI-LAMINATE FLATBOW.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

TRI-LAMINATE FLATBOW.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:59 am

It has been a few years since I’ve made a tri-laminate bow or selfbow and some of the finer points in tillering these bows had momentarily slipped my mind.

I went too far into the tillering process using the long string and as a result the limbs started to become whip ended. To remedy this problem required removing wood from the handle to approximately mid limb.

As a result the bow lost a fair amount of draw weight. All was not lost and the bow settled in at 40# @ 28”.

When bringing these types of bows to tiller I have found it advantageous to go to the correct length string once the limbs are bending uniformly and the tips are at the required brace height.

Remember not to pull the bow too far past its intended draw weight during this process.

The long string can give a false reading of the bending of the limb from a little past mid limb to the tip.

The back lamination is Moso pole bamboo, the core vertically laminated carbonized bamboo with a .001” taper per inch and the belly is Balau. https://www.wood-database.com/balau/

Tip overlays are African Blackwood.

Although it is early days the Balau appears to be holding up under compression.

Draw weight increases at a steady rate through the draw cycle, the bow is comfortable in the hand and upon release there are no nasty surprises.

The Flemish twist bow string is made from Fast-flite and the bow is finished with Minwax satin.

The bow is still retaining some reflex after being shot in but this could diminish over time.

In all, I am happy with the finished result.

Daryl.
Tri Laminate Bow Compilation.jpg
Tri Laminate Bow Compilation.jpg (168.2 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

Re: TRI-LAMINATE FLATBOW.

#2 Post by kerry » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:24 pm

nice work there Daryl , handy looking group as well . :handgestures-thumbup:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Nice job Daryl!

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#4 Post by Outbackdad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks Daryl for showing us some new bow making.
It does look good.

Eddie