TROUBLESOME YEW.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

TROUBLESOME YEW.

#1 Post by greybeard » Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 pm

I had a small diameter, short length of yew which I milled down to yield two 36” billets approximately 1⅝” x 1”.

The billets were spliced, glued and clamped with the centre lines checked with a string line.

Prior to the above I had prepared a bamboo backing shaped to the limb plan but cut slightly oversize.

The bamboo backing was laid over the glued up stave, the pattern transferred and the billet was cut to plan.

Over the following days the stave took a banana bend edge to edge followed by about 1” of reflex.
Movement Comp.jpg
Movement Comp.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
At least I still have the bamboo backing.

I may have to split the larger diameter log into billets and give them time to stabilize.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: TROUBLESOME YEW.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm

That sure was a lot of movement. Can you steam it or dry heat it back into line?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Jeff, the stave has moved another ¼” past centre so I will wait until the stave stabilizes before I try to straighten it. I have set up a simple clamping system which should allow me to selectively dry heat specific areas.
Clamping.jpg
Clamping.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
I can clamp blocks on to the bench top to help control a bending point but the tricky bit will be knowing how far past centre to bend the limb so that it comes back to true after cooling.

Applying water from a spray bottle is probably the easiest way to keep the timber moist.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Amazing how much it is moving about. Sounds like you have the right plan of attack though.