Variances in timber shafts.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Rhino1

Variances in timber shafts.

#1 Post by Rhino1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 am

Just thought I'd ask around with those that shoot mainly timber shafts.
What are acceptable variations and tolerances in weight and spine for a matched set of shafts?
Cheers Rhino
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Variances in timber shafts.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 am

Have your shafts within five pound spine weight and fifty grains in physical weight. I know some will say that is not close enough tolerances but I haven't met the archer who could shoot good enough to tell the difference. Me personally I have my arrows matched closer but that is just me being fussy. Back in the 1980's we use to just buy our arrow shafts in a supposed five pound spine weight tolerance and went and shot them. In the latter part of the 1980's when I started to match my shafts I found we were shooting arrows that had a spread of 10 -15 pounds in spine and over a 100 grains in weight; we still managed to hit what we were aiming at most of the time. :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 am Have your shafts within five pound spine weight and fifty grains in physical weight. I know some will say that is not close enough tolerances but I haven't met the archer who could shoot good enough to tell the difference........................................ :biggrin:
So true.

If the archer has the necessary means I think it is a good practice to match the arrows as close as possible.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi,
Sets we shoot and leave here for others have up to 3# variation and av max 20gns. The may be an odd batch with 25gns from time to time in the lighter poundages.
cheers
sue

Rhino1

#5 Post by Rhino1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks very much for the input gentlemen, the shafts I'm working on are busted shafts that I've footed with bunnings tassie oak. OK so I managed to get 10 shafts between 344gn and 373gn and within 8 pounds of each other today and I gave away another dozen that ended up being way too stiff for me to use. So I rekn they are in the ball park that Stickbow Hunter mentioned?
On another note I used feathers from our own turkeys to fletch with and it really hit home how much effort goes in to decent fletching, every mundane little job had to be done 30+ times, but hopefully the effort was worth it and I finally end up with a set of primitive-ish woods that I like to shoot with. I've been desperate to go for hunt with one of my self bows for the last few years, but just doesn't feel right to be slinging carbons out of them so they have just been wall hangers/dust collectors.
These are the first shafts that I've ever tried cutting self nocks on too, so it has been a good learning process
OK thanks Sue, now I'm doubting myself again haha, I have a rough varience of 30 grains but only two lighter shafts so was thinking to maybe re dip them.
Thanks again for the replies
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.