String maker's wax

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

TomMcDonald

String maker's wax

#1 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi members,
I'm trying to fine tune a recipe for string maker's wax to eventually offer it for sale. I can't find it at all for sale in Aus since Tradbits finished up.
Would a couple of folks be willing to have a sample to use and provide feedback? I'm happy but wouldn't mind some outside opinions, especially from more experienced string makers.
Cheers.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

kimall

Re: String maker's wax

#2 Post by kimall » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 pm

I make my own strings and have for some years mate I would be happy to give you some feedback if you like.
I have used bohning tex tite for years and having tried others still come back to this one.
Cheers KIM

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:54 pm

We purchase bees wax from the local markets and have done for years, that's all Steve uses on all the strings he makes. :)

cheers
sue

RobHunter

#4 Post by RobHunter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:42 am

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 am

I have mates with bee hives who give me wax so that's all I've used for hundreds of strings

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:55 pm

One more vote for straight beeswax. Does the job for me and it is cheap enough to use in other applications. I use a small lump to seal the end of takedown inserts so the epoxy doesn't get into the internal thread. Also use it on screw in points to prevent corrosion and are a nice rattle free joint.

Ronster

#7 Post by Ronster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Bees Wax for me also. I did try tree sap with bees wax once without success. I suppose the type of tree may play a big part.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:22 pm

I tried what I was told was straight bees wax but it was always sticky and everything stuck to it so started to add a bit of paraffin to make it
a little harder when rubbed into the string. Seeing others that would know use straight wax with no problems maybe I had some dodgy wax.
Cheers KIM

sina55

#9 Post by sina55 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi ,
I have always found bees made the best string wax. It also can be used for so many other things. But don't try bringing any from W.A. because the quarantine man in Ceduna will take it of you.
Cheers Gary

TomMcDonald

#10 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 pm

kimall wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:22 pm I tried what I was told was straight bees wax but it was always sticky and everything stuck to it so started to add a bit of paraffin to make it
a little harder when rubbed into the string. Seeing others that would know use straight wax with no problems maybe I had some dodgy wax.
Cheers KIM
Bunnings was selling a wax concoction that was almost entirely parrafin but labeled as pure beeswax. Was removed from the shelves earlier this year.

I found beeswax too hard and prefer my wax to be a little stickier.

Cheers
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com