Heavy Osage warbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Heavy Osage warbow

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:40 am

Morning all,

Been a long while since I've been on here but jumped back on through the week and I'm pleased to see some interesting stuff going on!

Just wanted to share a piece of work I'm progressing with at the moment. As the title suggests, a heavy Osage orange Warbow.... How heavy you ask? Target weight is 150-160#@30".

The stave is 75" long as has a bit of character. I made the depiction early on to leave a thin layer of sapwood in tact to mimic the Mary Rose Warbows and the result was 2 rings left on for this bow.

At the current stage the bow is pulling a predicted 183#@30" and has some mass left to be removed to sink the draw weight.

Will upload a photo of current stage when I get them off my phone.

Cheers

Colin

Roadie

Re: Heavy Osage warbow

#2 Post by Roadie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Ay Colin can't wait to see some pictures, sound like she may be a Beast. Cheers Roadie

perry

Re: Heavy Osage warbow

#3 Post by perry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Beast is an understatement Roadie I was over Colin's place to look at this lump of Osage the other weekend and when first Braced it had something like a predicted Draw Weight at 30" of 250#. When I left it was down to 110# at 14". I'll leave the rest of the Story to Colin :Tent

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin